1965 Steering problem

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

EZ65Tbird

1965 Steering problem

Post by EZ65Tbird »

I have an issue with either my steering box or maybe the new pitman arm. I pulled the steering box to replace the input shaft seal, clip, and dust cover, the isolators, and the rag joint. I set center travel and re-installed it. Now, I can't make a right turn unless I have four lanes to do it in. It almost seems like the pitman arm is off 45 degrees. Does anyone know how many rotations of the input shaft there are from stop to stop? I get 2 1/2
Thanks for any help.
David Langhorne

Re: 1965 Steering problem

Post by David Langhorne »

Well that's an easy one - if you look in the shop manual it states 3.6 turns from left to right so you gone wrong somewhere...
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
David Langhorne

Post by David Langhorne »

I've just been out to the garage and looked at my old box and pitman arm and it seems it is possible to fit it in 4 ways according to the splines at 90 degrees off each time so it looks like you may have got it 90 degrees off.
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
EZ65Tbird

Post by EZ65Tbird »

Thank you, David. I couldn't find that in my manual; however, I most likely passed over that section. It looks like I'm dropping that steering box again.