Roof and Rear Window Trim for 1985

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1980-89 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
WildWill

Roof and Rear Window Trim for 1985

Post by WildWill »

Good evening, everybody.

I am currently working on a 1985 T-Bird 302. I have been interested in repainting it. However, in its past garage, the trim on the roof and silver trim all around the back glass was leaked on by water. Over time, it has rusted pretty badly. Does anyone know where i can find some new trim pieces or the clips that hold them in? Also, how do you recommend i remove the rust? I applied some rust converter and it worked pretty well. I may post some photos later on.

Thank you for the advice!
Alan H. Tast

Re: Roof and Rear Window Trim for 1985

Post by Alan H. Tast »

WildWill wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:09 pm Good evening, everybody.

I am currently working on a 1985 T-Bird 302. I have been interested in repainting it. However, in its past garage, the trim on the roof and silver trim all around the back glass was leaked on by water. Over time, it has rusted pretty badly. Does anyone know where i can find some new trim pieces or the clips that hold them in? Also, how do you recommend i remove the rust? I applied some rust converter and it worked pretty well. I may post some photos later on.

Thank you for the advice!
Posting photos would help tremendously to see what you're dealing with. The window trim most likely is anodized aluminum, or plastic with a reflective mylar layer (I'm not well-versed in this era to know what OEM is for this). If it's metal, it should be able to be refinished by a plater that specializes in 'brite-dip' anodizing. If it's plastic, and if it can be removed without damaging it, it too could be replated by a place that specializes in vacuum-plating plastic. If it's missing entirely, start monitoring online auction sites for NOS trim, or look for better used parts by scouring salvage yards and advertisements for parts cars.

'As for clips, like many hardware items for this era, a search of Mustang parts vendors which go into the Fox-bodied cars from '79-early '90s might yield clips that are similar (or the same as) those used for T-birds/Cougars, LTD IIs, Crown Victorias, etc. I would have to do some digging into period parts catalogs to find a diagram and part number for rear window trim, which could take some time to get to.

Rust repair is rudimentary, regardless which year you're working on. More than likely you'll have some lengths of window channel to cut out that are rotted out or so thin that they can't be repaired. That means you'll need to weld in good sheet metal. Basic metal fabrication and finishing skills for shaping, access to bodywork tools and a good wire-feed (MIG) welder are a must.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
WildWill

Post by WildWill »

I will try to get some photos posted later tonight or this week.

Thanks for the help!
WildWill

Post by WildWill »

Good evening,

Sorry it took me a while to post these photos. I have removed the piece of trim around the passenger window and the trim pieces around the back glass. I also sprayed a little bit of rust oleum rust converter on the area, and it did an ok job, but I still need to get the rust under control with some paint.

Thanks for any advice!
WildWill

Post by WildWill »

Here are the photos.
Attachments
IMG_3396.jpeg
IMG_3397.jpeg
IMG_3398.jpeg
IMG_3399.jpeg
IMG_3400.jpeg
IMG_3401.jpeg