defrost vents for dash replacement?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

phaelax

defrost vents for dash replacement?

Post by phaelax »

Decided to finally get off my butt and finish the dash I removed 2 years from my '62. From what I recall back then, the vents just had some wire mesh somewhat held in place my a few plastic pieces that crumbled apart when I disassembled it. Can't find much online, not sure what to do. Has anyone a solution or suggestion on what I could do?
Attachments
dash.jpeg
Robert E. Jackman

Re: defrost vents for dash replacement?

Post by Robert E. Jackman »

Not sure what you mean with the wire mesh or plastic that crumbled. My 63 Sports Roadster has it's original perfect dash covering and the covering just folds down around the vent opening as yours shows. It seems this subject came up some time ago and it was decided that there was no trim around the vent openings but that someone found some from a Galaxy that fit his car. Am I dreaming this?
David Robertson NZ

Post by David Robertson NZ »

The last post on this page gives a good description
viewtopic.php?p=91867#p91867

I cut some stainless steel mesh to push into mine to make it look sort of ok but I'd love a better option.

Page 12 of the 1962 Body Assembly manual shows screws at each end of the vents and spacers to hold the vent open
phaelax

Post by phaelax »

No you're not imagining it. viewtopic.php?p=125596

When I took my dash apart, I had this wire mesh between the pad and frame. There were some plastic clips that held them in place, but again fit between the pad and frame (if I recall correctly). It's been about 2 years since I removed it so it's a little hard to remember the exact details. I haven't glued the new pad to the frame yet just in case I do need to place something between them.

I have an idea in my head for a chromed trim piece but I don't think I have the metal skills to pull off what I envision. But I have a few friends with 3D printers so I think I may try to design something.
Attachments
vents.jpg
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

If anyone can get a measurement of how many wires per inch in each direction the mesh is, i.e. 10x10 mesh means 10 wires/inch each direction, once that's known it should be a 'simple' matter of sourcing replacement material. I have a few spare original dashes/frames in storage but lack time to measure right now (something about putting tech articles together for the July-August 2024 Scoop and meeting deadlines for VTCI's International convention in Grand Rapids, MI in August).
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster