Pony Carbs

This area is open to any (no profanities/etc.) subject you would like to discuss. NO VENDOR FOR SALE ITEMS

Moderator: Terri McNeill

MikeB

Pony Carbs

Post by MikeB »

Has anyone here had their carb rebuilt bt Pony Carburetor? If so, you you happy with there work? I'm thinking of sending the one from my '69 to them.
Thanks
Mike B
69 Fordor
90 2 door
Terri McNeill
Site Admin

Pony Carb

Post by Terri McNeill »

Hi Mike,
yep.........been there and done that, I would not hesitate to recommend Pony carbs to anyone! I was so happy with the performance of it! It was installed on a 66 Thunderbird and the idle, performance and gas mileage was great! [yay]
Terri McNeill, Past VTCI President, currently VTCI Publications Director, Member of VTCI, VTCI-PNWC and Chicagoland Thunderbirds
Alan H. Tast

Phy Carbs

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Mike:

They claim to know some things about your 4300 Autolite that they can correct. Having only had one 4300 in my time versus the trusty 4100 on my '63, and knowing others who have been satisfied with their work, I'd say do it! After all, people who work on these day in and day out probably know more about them than the local rebuilder ;-)
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
MikeB

Pony Carbs

Post by MikeB »

Terri & Alan,
Thanks for the postive info. The carb came off today and is going out to them tomorrow. The bottom butterflies were coated with gunk. The gasket between the spacer and carb was also missing pieces around the four barrels.
Mike B
69 Fordor
90 2 door
Wklink

Post by Wklink »

A little late but they did the autolite 4100 on my 65 Fairlane (480cfm) and it works fine.

Wouldn't hesitate to call on them again.
Thomas Cofield
1962 Hardtop, 'Thumper' Red/Black
1962 Hardtop, 'The Survivor' White/Red
VTCI-PNW
RSSVTCI
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Got mine back from just the other day. It wound up that the carb I took off was actually from a '68 351 or 390. the code letters didn't match what's in the book. They traded that one for the one that is supposed to be on my '69. Just need to find time to ge out there and get it mounted. The T-bird is feeling sad because I can't drive it now.
Mike B
69 Fordor
90 2 door
MikeB

Wrong Carb

Post by MikeB »

I finally got some free time to install my new rebuilt carb from Pony. Wound up that neither my cruise control or down shift linkage will hook up. After spending some time hunting through the parts cd, it looks like they sent me a carb built for a 72 instead of a 69. :cry:
Mike B
69 Fordor
90 2 door
MikeB

Pony Carb Update

Post by MikeB »

Here's my update. I wound up sending my freshly rebuilt carb back to Pony Carbs. They had forgot to reinstall the downshift and cruise control linkages. Plus, there was no way the new filter was going to screw into it. I got it back Friday 2/27 and everythng was fine. Got it installed and runing. However there was a serious vacuum leak at the rear of the carb. Wound up being the gaskets they sent didn't completely cover the groove for the pcv gasses to flow. I wound up running over to Auto Zone last night to get a new gasket, which solved that problem. At least I'm able to drive my Bird now and that makes me happy!!
Mike B
69 Fordor
90 2 door
Terri McNeill
Site Admin

Pony Carb

Post by Terri McNeill »

Hi Mike,
can I ask how Pony Carbs dealt with the mistake? Shipping, apology etc? It bothered me that I recommended them and then this happened. Mistakes can happen but I am curious if they handled it satisfactorily.

Terri
Terri McNeill, Past VTCI President, currently VTCI Publications Director, Member of VTCI, VTCI-PNWC and Chicagoland Thunderbirds
MikeB

Pony Carbs

Post by MikeB »

Terri,

When I found the problem, I called them on the phone. They said that he couldn't believe the downshift linkage wasn't on the carb. He then said the cruise control linkage was just an addition. He did volunteer to send me the correct linkage. When I told him the fuel filter wouldn't screw into the carb, he didn't believe it. He then recommended that I send it back. I sent the filter back with the carb, but they didn't send it back. I then had to go and buy another one. We didn't discuss reimbursement costs to ship it back. It was $10.00 to ship it, and I didn't feel it was worth arguing that point. Other than that, I'm happy with it.

Mike B
Mike B
69 Fordor
90 2 door
Terri McNeill
Site Admin

Pony Carb

Post by Terri McNeill »

thanks for the input Mike, these are the type of things that help the membership when purchasing parts which are usually mail order. If they run into problems they know how the company handled the situation. I have had a few complaints about some of the vendors that advertise in the Scoop and I would like to get feedback from our members when there is a problem.

Terri