Air cleaner question 65 HT

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

kevanbeard

Air cleaner question 65 HT

Post by kevanbeard »

I'm a new 65 hardtop owner and have a question regarding my air cleaner. My care had an aftermarket cleaner so I bought an original to replace it. I've seen in photos and manuals that some have a nipple with tube and some do not. What is the purpose of this as mine does not have one or a place where one should have been. My car is currently in California but was originally sold in Indiana if that matters. Sorry if this is a easy question.
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Hi and welcome. No question is too small as we can make a mountain out of the tiniest detail and have a good time doing so.

Are you talking about a small nipple on the passenger underside that would take about a 3/16" hose or a larger one that would take a much larger line?

The small one is for the air intake for the choke. It runs from the air filter to the exhaust manifold. Another line goes from the ex. manifold to the carbs choke to complete this system.

The larger one, if equipped, will go to a breather someplace (valve cover, oil fill?). Not all cars use this method for PCV (mine didn't) and I don't know which ones did but I'm sure someone here knows.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
kevanbeard

Post by kevanbeard »

Thank you for the welcome to the forum. Mine has neither of them but the one I was looking at is the larger one for the breather. Guess mine didn't have one either.
Tbird100636

Re: Air cleaner question 65 HT

Post by Tbird100636 »

kevanbeard - I'm a new 65 hardtop owner and have a question regarding my air cleaner. My care had an aftermarket cleaner so I bought an original to replace it. I've seen in photos and manuals that some have a nipple with tube and some do not. What is the purpose of this as mine does not have one or a place where one should have been. My car is currently in California but was originally sold in Indiana if that matters. Sorry if this is a easy question.
The air cleaner with the nipple and hose was for the closed PCV system. The hose went from the air cleaner to a different oil cap instead of having a vented oil cap to allow the crankcase to breath. All T-Birds built for California would have a Closed PCV system. There were rare cases where other states would require it, or it could be ordered as an option.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- 390 FE 4V- Chantilly Beige- NEVER done, but beautiful as is.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- 390 FE 4V- Red (Originally Wimbledon White)- Hood installed and repaint coming... well... not sure when...
Tbird100636

Post by Tbird100636 »

Oh and 65 didn't have a small breather nipple for the choke tubes on the air cleaner like earlier years did. The choke tube instead attached to a revised Autolite 4100 carb. that added a breather nipple to the air horn.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- 390 FE 4V- Chantilly Beige- NEVER done, but beautiful as is.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- 390 FE 4V- Red (Originally Wimbledon White)- Hood installed and repaint coming... well... not sure when...
tbird

Post by tbird »

Tbird100636 is correct in his description for 64's, the 65 PCV system is connected from the hole in the rear of the right side valve cover the PCV valve is installed into the grommet in this hole and a preformed 5/8"hose connecting to the aluminium carb spacer plate. the 65 was the first year for this approach 64 California smog for the had a hose connected from the oil filler cap to a nipple that was factory installed into the air cleaner.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Coincidentally, I bought an air cleaner for my new 4100 carb today. They supplier had a number of them and I was particularly interested in one with the nipple on the bottom for the choke tube. This is what I ended up with:

Is this setup (with the breather inlet) correct for my car? If so, then I'm running the wrong valve covers, as mine are closed. I get quite a bit of blow-by coming out the breather/oil fill at the front--perhaps this is why?

~Steve
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

"My" 64 wasn't like that Steve but maybe Ca. cars were? Mine just had the vented oil filler but I think what you have is a much better and cleaner setup.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Tbird100636

Post by Tbird100636 »

Steve, the original valve covers for 64 were the stamped "THUNDERBIRD" closed valve covers. The oil filler is on the intake, where the vented or closed oil cap would go. It appears you have a correct 64 Closed air cleaner.
60fore

Post by 60fore »

This is the correct air cleaner for a '64 CA car:

Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Oh my 60fore, that is gorgeous!
But I also have the original air cleaner and it doesn't have the nipple under the "FRONT" sticker. So I think they made the systems both ways.
I'd post a pic of it but after a shot like that, it would just be too embarrassing. :oops:
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Thanks! That was my dear departed '64's air cleaner right after I got it powder coated.

The nipple was only on California cars with the closed emission system. My car was originally sold by a dealer in Long Beach.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
Tbird100636

Post by Tbird100636 »

tbird - Tbird100636 is correct in his description for 64's, the 65 PCV system is connected from the hole in the rear of the right side valve cover the PCV valve is installed into the grommet in this hole and a preformed 5/8"hose connecting to the aluminium carb spacer plate. the 65 was the first year for this approach 64 California smog for the had a hose connected from the oil filler cap to a nipple that was factory installed into the air cleaner.
But 65 did have the option of a Closed PCV though with the nipple on the air cleaner and the oil cap. Same as 64, standard in California and optional elsewhere.
ScooterJazz

Post by ScooterJazz »

I have a question on my air cleaner in the 65 tbird (I’m a little new to the tbird restoration). There is this plastic breather pipe goin from where the oil cap would be, it is running into the air cleaner. It is very loose. I would like to get one of these oil cap breathers vs the breather tube. Would i need to switch out the whole air cleaner as well to get that set up?? Can I just switch to a breather cap. Any help would be awesome
ScooterJazz

Post by ScooterJazz »

ScooterJazz wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:00 pm I have a question on my air cleaner in the 65 tbird (I’m a little new to the tbird restoration). There is this plastic breather pipe goin from where the oil cap would be, it is running into the air cleaner. It is very loose. I would like to get one of these oil cap breathers vs the breather tube. Would i need to switch out the whole air cleaner as well to get that set up?? Can I just switch to a breather cap. Any help would be awesome
Attachments
IMG_7789.jpeg