Rose-beige

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

paulr

Rose-beige

Post by paulr »

Even though G is currently Wimbledon (and before that a really bad non-Ford blue), my paint code is W, Rose Beige Metallic. That's right, pink. Also, my build sheet shows the original vinyl top was white. I'm strongly inclined to restore the color and top to original as that red top I have now is a pain (color runs when you wash it!). The 'Stang below is the only photo of RBM I can find on the web. Does anyone have a photos of a Flairbird this color to share? Paint chips just don't work for me; I need to see the car. I'm not crazy about pink, for sure but the 'stang looks good; it's a real period-specific color. I'm more interested in displaying correct colors, especially because there can't be many like it around.
Last edited by paulr on Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
Tbird100636

Post by Tbird100636 »

I might have a picture of one from years ago. I'm sort of a stickler for the original colors, especially when it was a metallic. Where many of our cars have been repainted red, black, and white primarily by sellers they are really basic colors compared to the original metallics. Even though a shade off, our 64's Chantilly Beige gets a ton of complements. I'd go for it.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- 390 FE 4V- Chantilly Beige- NEVER done, but beautiful as is.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- 390 FE 4V- Red (Originally Wimbledon White)- Hood installed and repaint coming... well... not sure when...
Sierra John

Post by Sierra John »

Here are a couple of pictures of a rose beige car that I came close to purchasing. Personally, I like the color. The interior was white with red carpeting.

paulr

Post by paulr »

Here's a picky point: in John's '65 picture, although the windshield is not original (I believe), the other windows appear to be, and the RBM really shows off that window tinting, I think; maybe it's the contrast of colors. Thanks John also for the interior color scheme; I guess I really like the period-specific colors, too. Any other pictures would really be appreciated, and additional interior info. I think the Ford design team worked overtime picking so many distinctive colors; it's just another detail that makes the Tbird line so timeless, don't ya think? Paul
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
Tbird100636

Post by Tbird100636 »

Here's the one I saw years ago. Might be a shade off...

1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- 390 FE 4V- Chantilly Beige- NEVER done, but beautiful as is.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- 390 FE 4V- Red (Originally Wimbledon White)- Hood installed and repaint coming... well... not sure when...
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Something to consider when selecting an original high metallic content paint such as this. I had trouble matching the paint on my 57 and my local DuPont paint supplier suggested mixing a small sample and test the match. They mixed a few oz "ready to spray" sample for me for less than $25 from the old formula in the book. They said the issue is the materials used today are not the same as in the 50's & 60's, the metallic flakes are different material and size, and there is no longer any lead content in the pigments. I suggest you get samples of the color(s) you are considering and have some test panels sprayed and view them outside in natural light. To compound the issue you may have to choose enamel, urethane single stage, base coat - clear coat, waterbase, with each having its own advantages and disadvantages and will look different when applied. Online color charts are available so you can see differences between the years Rose Beige was used on Thunderbirds and something similar on Mustangs. Sometimes the name is different for the same formula when used on different vehicles.

Test panels are the only way (in my opinion) to get a decent size example of the actual color and finish appearance/gloss level. Once the type of paint, and color is decided, then you can have it tinted to change the shade a bit to make it exactly what you would like.

Good luck and have fun!
Last edited by Joe Johnston on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
fast Ed

Post by fast Ed »

IMO, Rose Beige with a white vinyl top would look lovely on a Flair Bird. What colour is the interior now, and is that still original?

cheers
Ed
88 Turbo Coupe manual
07 Mustang GT hardtop
previous Birds:
66 Town Hardtop
95 Super Coupe manual
paulr

Post by paulr »

Thanks folks. Ed, the interior has been redone with a white vinyl and red carpet combo. I hope my new exterior won't force me into too much interior redo--but I'll eventually do what's proper, I always do.

Joe that's the advice I've been looking for. Natural lighting is the only natural process for examining paint color. The detailed breakdown of paint components then and now helps to know; like I told my buddy RainBird64, choosing the wrong shade can mean the difference between achieving your goal and a big enough mistake to take all the wind out of your sail.

These pictures are great; more is better. Anything at all helps. Thanks, Paul
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Uh, That's RedBird64 Paul :rofl: :mrgreen:

Those pics make it look more pink sometimes. I agree that less pink is desirable. We really need to see one that's been repainted in person!
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
paulr

Post by paulr »

Ouch! Sorry Scott. Been living in Seattle too long!
Sincerely, Dufus
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
tbird

Post by tbird »

Paul
The interior/ exterior color combinations and details of which panel has which color on it can be found in VTCI's 64-66 OFS book.
The Rose Beige exterior is a beautiful color if mixed correctly not many are seen and those that are around tend to have to much Pink in them, as Joe suggested you need to spray a test panel and compare to original color chip or find some ares of your car that has been protected from the elements where original paint still exists.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
paulr

Post by paulr »

a beautiful color if mixed correctly not many are seen and those that are around tend to have to much Pink in them, as Joe suggested you need to spray a test panel and compare to original color chip or find some ares of your car that has been protected from the elements
Jim, yeah the part that worries me is the "correctly mixed" part. Also, I have a bit of visible original paint where blue and then white very cheap paint jobs have flaked. Trouble is, the bottom layer of Ford paint is bleached because of the car's past desert life. Am trying to get under the re-coats inside the trunk and engine bay if I can.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

How about looking under a kick panel or behind the rear seat shells? JMO Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
tbird

Post by tbird »

Unless they completely dismantled that car to do the repaints which is not likely on "cheap paint jobs" the original color will be there some where, try under the cowl panel as it is installed after paint. The body shop supplier can scan it and come up with a mix but you still need to do a test panel.
Have gone through this with my 62 which is Heritage Burgundy present day mix's do not necessarily match as every time the formula is updated it may have a "offset" in the color, I had PPG and Dupont mix their present day formula then sprayed test panels on metal with all undercoats in place and found the PPG to be much too Red the Dupont was virtually right on.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
paulr

Post by paulr »

As usual, much appreciation is owed to several of you. The area under the cowl held the answer this whole time. The cowl was already removed for recent dash work, and I had not taken a second glance at it since it was coated in eastern Washington desert dust like everything else. A little soap and water and voile! Rose Beige Metallic, unfaded due to the location. Now, I have a sizable panel for comparison to test panels, and viewable under natural light. The color is not very pink at all. Like RedBird64's wife said, more of a light lavender; I notice a definite beige component making it a really unique color. I gotta have it!
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT