1963 Thunderbird Convertible Restomod Project

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

Daniel Jones

Re: 1963 Thunderbird Convertible Restomod Project

Post by Daniel Jones »

No, I decided to work on a few other project vehicles first. I'm wrapping up one now but have a couple of more minor projects in the queue. The Thunderbird will wait until I retire which is slated to happen within the next 18 months, if not sooner. On the plus side, a friend won a 2019 Mustang Coyote long block and is trading me it for a 347 SBF build for one of his cars. Current plan is to remove the 4.6L DOHC and 4R70W and replace it with the Coyote 5.0L and 10R80 transmission. Also, I've been working on a local owner's Pantera. He recently purchased a house and the previous owner left behind what appears to be a complete and solid 1962 Thunderbird coupe. I'll likely get that as a parts car and am considering swapping over the doors and front fenders as I prefer the smoother styling of the 962 to the 1963.
LeonardK

Post by LeonardK »

Well congrats on the impending retirement! Sticking a Coyote in there will be really something else and just awesome. Your project really struck me as I would like to put a 427 SOHC in my 62, however it's 5 inches wider than a typical 427, so the shock towers and/or suspension would need to be modified; both things I have less than zero knowledge on doing lol.
Daniel Jones

Post by Daniel Jones »

My car had the shock towers cut out and the ones from the donor 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII grafted in, along with the suspension, brakes and rack and pinion steering. The other option would be a Mustang II front suspension kit which eliminates the shock towers. You'll also need to do something about the brake booster. Mine has a Mustang hydra-boost set up.
LeonardK

Post by LeonardK »

Awesome, thanks for the insight. I'm going to talk with a couple car restoration shops in the area (Dallas/Fort Worth) and see what they can do with this information. Thanks again.