Restoring 57 dash

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Murraygwen

Re: Restoring 57 dash

Post by Murraygwen »

Don't know if 57 is just like 55 but I just pried around the edges of the front of the bezels on the turn signals out with a small flat screwdriver from the front- came out easily and replaced the green jewels - nothing is really held in- just a tight fit to hold and an edging to hold the washer backing for the jewels. Be careful not to pry too hard or you'll bend the thin metal on the bezel.
klogsdonjr

Re: Restoring 57 dash

Post by klogsdonjr »

BRILLIANT! @murraygweyn
I can now confirm that the 56 turn signal bezels DO in fact simply press in from the front. I had been waiting till the next dash opening to take care of my left blinker jewel since last summer. Every other source i have read, including many long-time experienced sources indicated you had to remove from the back once you opened up the dash. I tried Murraygweyn's tip and they came out VERY easily. They are in two parts, the etched outer ring and then the inner thin washer. both simply press in after the jewel.

Side note - i had to replace both sides because the CASCO jewel was thicker than the original - so if you want them to match you likely need to replace both at the same time (same goes for the bulbs, my left is not as bright as the newer right one i put in last summer. Also, i used a small jewelers screwdriver to gently pry between the ring and washer - even with being gentle the face of the ring did scratch up some - so you might want to have new ones on hand OR use plastic tool where you can insert and twist pry between them.

THANKS FOR THE TIP! another small thing off the list.
Ken
'56 Thunderbird 312 black/tuxedo
(originally sold in Louisville, KY)