Widest rear wheels & tires with skirts?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

fast Ed

Widest rear wheels & tires with skirts?

Post by fast Ed »

Wondering if any of you guys with modded car with wider aftermarket wheels & tires are still running the rear skirts. Am I limited to something like a 7", or will 8 or 9" fit in there, assuming that I get enough backspacing to tuck it as close to the inside as possible?

Tried looking back in this forum, but didn't see any definitive answers that mentioned the skirts.

thanks,
Ed
88 Turbo Coupe manual
07 Mustang GT hardtop
previous Birds:
66 Town Hardtop
95 Super Coupe manual
cdhowell

Post by cdhowell »

I am running a p235 60 15 on 15 x 8 rear wheels. I do not have the skirts on but there is room for them. fronts are 205's on 15 x 6

./image-archive/i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z36 ... ans030.jpg
Did you ever stop to think and forget to start again?
WC145

Post by WC145 »

I have 17x8 (4.5" back space) wheels and 235/50 tires on my '66, I haven't tried putting the skirts back on but it looks like they'd be tight, if they fit at all. This pic will give you an idea of what kind of clearance I have.

This '66 that has 18x9 (5.5" back space) wheels in the back and 275/40 tires. He said he was able to get his skirts on with what he called "minor trimming".

I don't know what kind of wheels you intend to run but I prefer the skirtless look with most aftermarket rims.
fast Ed

Post by fast Ed »

Thanks guys, that's what I was looking for. I hadn't seen the pic of that aqua 66 with the skirts on, and I like it!

thx,
Ed
88 Turbo Coupe manual
07 Mustang GT hardtop
previous Birds:
66 Town Hardtop
95 Super Coupe manual
fast Ed

Post by fast Ed »

Scott, along the same subject, do you think anything wider would fit in the front, or is an 8" wheel about it? One of the wheels I'm looking at comes in an 8-1/2" rather than 8".

thanks,
Ed
88 Turbo Coupe manual
07 Mustang GT hardtop
previous Birds:
66 Town Hardtop
95 Super Coupe manual
WC145

Post by WC145 »

I don't know for sure, mine are 8", so are the front ones on the blue car, I don't have any contact issues even at full lock left or right. I don't know how much clsarance there is, though, they could be right at the limit.

What kind of wheels are you looking at? You have to keep in mind that if your car is a 65 or 66 you have contend with the incredibly large brake calipers and there are very few wheels out there that will clear them. I had to grind a bit off the ridge on the outside of the calipers for my wheels to clear, just over 1/16".
fast Ed

Post by fast Ed »

Right now I'm all over the map as far as what style I want to go with ... I've got a friend that who is going to some Photoshops with my top 5 to help me narrow down. And yes, I am aware of the potential for caliper clearance issues. The chrome smoothie wheels that came on my car when I bought it have spacers that are roughly 3/8" thick behind them on the front wheels for clearance. I tried test-fitting a Cragar 500 wheel, and it was going to need pretty much a full inch of spacer to clear!

I have a set of 17x8-1/2" Saleen wheels for my 89 Mustang project, I can do some trial fitting on those, mocking them up with spacers behind to get a better idea before I order anything.

thanks again,
Ed