suspension conversion from crown victoria

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

65Lucille

suspension conversion from crown victoria

Post by 65Lucille »

Well, my trusted mechanic was telling me something that he heard some people able to directly bolt the independent suspension from a 2003 Ford Crown victoria and bolt it directly onto a 1965 thunderbird..?
Is this true?
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

has anyone confirmed this yet?
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

From what I've gathered after a quick Google search, the CV has a totally different kind of suspension in that it uses coil springs and all the associated hardware that's required for that kind of suspension and of course this all assumes the Vics rear end is the correct width for our birds. There's no way it would be a direct bolt on job and would require the old springs and hangers to be cut from the frame and new mounts fabricated - the Vic has a cross frame where we don't so that would probably be a place to start. Then you'd have to fab up mounts for shocks and control arms and alter the drive shaft.
It would be a great improvement in ride quality and handling but its also a huge job.

Honestly I think it would be a better mod to install one of the air suspension kits available for our birds.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
fast Ed

Post by fast Ed »

I think that the OP was referring to front suspension, as the Crown Vic had a solid axle up to the end of its production run. The 03-up Crown Vic / Grand Marquis / Town Car have a nice aluminium crossmember with coilover shocks, upper and lower control arms, and rack & pinion steering. The whole unit as a module can be unbolted from the frame of those cars. It is becoming a fairly popular swap for the F-series trucks from the early 60s through to the 70s to replace their twin-I-beam suspension.

This could be a nice swap for a 60s Bird if the dimension for the mounting points for the CV crossmember is anywhere close to the width of the Bird subframe. Next time there is one of these vehicles up on the hoist at the dealership where I work, I will take some rough measurements of the crossmember to compare to the underpinnings of my 66.

cheers
Ed
88 Turbo Coupe manual
07 Mustang GT hardtop
previous Birds:
66 Town Hardtop
95 Super Coupe manual
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Ah OK. It was the "independent" part that threw me since we already have that up front. I'm sure some new geometry up there would sure help the handling though.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
fast Ed

Post by fast Ed »

For sure, modern geometry, much more precise steering and road feel, ability to use modern brake parts, and quite possibly a weight savings could be the benefits.

The motor mounting would have to be adapted to retain an FE, as the CVs only have the 4.6 modular engine. But this might be a route to look at if one was planning to do a full restomod with a more modern drivetrain anyway ... any of the modular series engines, 4.6 2V, 3V, or 4V, or the 5.4 variations would now bolt to the crossmember. Even the new 5.0L DOHC engines as used in the Mustangs and F-150s share the same mounting points. The F-150 is rated at (modern net, not old gross ratings) 360 hp and 380 lbs./ft. torque. I believe that the 6.2 truck engine shares the same style mounts too, it is 411 hp and 434 torque. That would get a FlairBird moving out nicely!

cheers
Ed