Brake line labeling/identification

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

gcroix

Brake line labeling/identification

Post by gcroix »

63 Thunderird.
Replacing my brake system over the past few weeks. Got all the shoes/springs installed, then went to remove the master cylinder. Ahh, the lovely feeling when you think the nut is getting looser, but nope, you broke a brake line...
Anyway, I have three lines coming out of the distribution block, and I snapped the one closest to the engine. Can anyone tell me which lines go where? I'm thinking that the lines on the front of the block feed the front wheels, and the line on the side feeds the rear.
I'm getting married June 23rd, and was hoping to leave the church in my newest old car. Unless there is a company out there that can ship really quickly, I don't think I'm going to make it. :sad: I'm looking at www.inlinetube.com.

Gary in GA
1993 Mustang Cobra
Go Navy! 85-05
nbaum

brake line

Post by nbaum »

If I remember correctly the line closest the engine goes to the front right brake. If its just the fitting on the end perhaps you can get the fitting and a flair tool from NAPA to make the fix. That's if there is enough brake line available.
2014 Corvette convertible
1993 Cadillac Allante factory hardtop Pearl Red
2016 Lexus RX350
1992 Cadillac Allante Bright red
1930 Ford model A Cabriolet
2005 Chevrolet SSR
Brian Harris

Post by Brian Harris »

Inline Tube was pretty fast on shipment in my experience... Call them for sure. Otherwise get a flaring kit from NAPA or similar and flare your own. You won't get as original bends, but you could get enough to make connection if you loosen/detach the clips that hold the line in original locations. Norton is correct on which line/wheels it serves.

Cheers... Brian
`55 Ford F-100 Pick-up
`57 D-Bird Restomod
`62 Thunderbird Roadster
`68 Mercedes 280SL Pagoda
gcroix

Post by gcroix »

How challenging is it going to be to work the lines around the engine? Makes me miss a 6 cyl engine. :smile:
1993 Mustang Cobra
Go Navy! 85-05
nbaum

brake line

Post by nbaum »

That brake line is the most difficult to work with as I remember. I replaced mine when the engine was out so I cheated!
2014 Corvette convertible
1993 Cadillac Allante factory hardtop Pearl Red
2016 Lexus RX350
1992 Cadillac Allante Bright red
1930 Ford model A Cabriolet
2005 Chevrolet SSR
gcroix

Post by gcroix »

Yeah, I was afraid I was going to have to yank the engine if I wanted to make it easy.
1993 Mustang Cobra
Go Navy! 85-05