Audio ideas needed

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
mcgsxr

Audio ideas needed

Post by mcgsxr »

I recently bought a 1969, and intend to keep it mostly stock.

The stock AM mono radio has to go though.

I will likely keep the stock radio in the dash, but am willing to disconnect the speaker, and replace the speaker, and dedicate some trunk space to the audio.

I have seen that some replace the stock front speaker with a plate with 2 small speakers on it - I guess that is about all I can do for a stealth front end.

I am not willing to cut the stock door inners, but if I can source a 2nd set, I would.

For bass and amplification, I am willing to remove the stock spare and jack etc. That space can be dedicated to a 4 channel amp, and a small sub.

I have seen hidden audio systems, and will even consider installing a head unit in the trunk and using bluetooth to control it with an ipod touch etc.

Anyone else with a bird of this vintage done any of this?

Thoughts?
Rehomed - 1969 Red Landau Tudor survivor, 34K original miles. TBird Registry #37047
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

As an update, I have bought some used armrest parts from a car that originally had the 4 speaker stock setup. I intend to mount modern speakers behind them. Amp sourced, subwoofer sourced, still on the hunt for the right 3 way speaker setup.

I intend to use an iPod Touch as the head unit and am looking for the right remote solution that will retain a stock look for the dash.
Rehomed - 1969 Red Landau Tudor survivor, 34K original miles. TBird Registry #37047
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

A further update. I have found a device that allows me to wirelessly transmit music from my iPod Touch to the trunk, and allows for volume and track selection. All with no head unit.

The Audioengine W2. I bought one last week, and have been using it in the house. Works great. $99.
tbirdjohn

Post by tbirdjohn »

I would love to see pics of your install. I too need to upgrade the 'tunes' in my '67. I got a pair of front door panels from a '67 that had the Quadraphonic sound. The doors as you discovered, are already cut for the front speakers! You just need the new trim panels with built in speaker grills (aluminum in my case) to replace the original ones w/o the speaker grills.

That app will most likely work with my iPhone if it does with your iTouch!

Thanks!