Labor of love

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

novanutcase

Post by novanutcase »

Yep your right ..... Thats why I made them from aluminium so that I could cut and polish them later. Nice Catch !
Are you going to make an actual spacer or just polish the ones you have already?

John
I thought I would cut the ones I have to the right length and polish them. But I am open to suggestions.
If it was me, I would find some aluminum plate of the same thickness and cut out a plate that goes all the way around with the mounting holes and the hole for the rod. That way when someone is looking at it from the side it looks more complete than it is now.

Just my personal preference but instead of polishing I would anodize it. I love the look of anodized aluminum and it gives just one more layer of texture in the engine bay. Maybe in Castillion Gold?

Your car is going to be black right? I don't remember if your engine is out but if it is it would be great to semi-flat the bay in a black or Dark Grey. I think it really sets off the motor especially when you have it all detailed which I think is what you are going for. I don't really like chromed out motors as much as I like a color matched motor with some nice accents so that you can see all the gear.

Kind of like this:

JMO

John
Last edited by novanutcase on Sat May 28, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Pic Whore

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

novanutcase wrote:
Are you going to make an actual spacer or just polish the ones you have already?

John
I thought I would cut the ones I have to the right length and polish them. But I am open to suggestions.
If it was me, I would find some aluminum plate of the same thickness and cut out a plate that goes all the way around with a the mounting holes and the hole for the rod. That way when someone is looking at it from the side it looks more complete than it is now.

JMO

John
Great Idea and I know just the guy to mill it for me.
novanutcase

Post by novanutcase »

What did you use to fill the brows, and what will you use for new molding, if you use molding?
Nova, that pic is too small to see the details. Hope I'm not encouraging. :lol:
Did you hear that? That was Daniel doing a face palm!! LOL!!

John
Professional Pic Whore

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

novanutcase wrote:

John
If it was me, I would find some aluminium plate of the same thickness and cut out a plate that goes all the way around with the mounting holes and the hole for the rod. That way when someone is looking at it from the side it looks more complete than it is now.

Just my personal preference but instead of polishing I would anodize it. I love the look of anodized aluminum and it gives just one more layer of texture in the engine bay. Maybe in Castillion Gold?

Your car is going to be black right? I don't remember if your engine is out but if it is it would be great to semi-flat the bay in a black or Dark Grey. I think it really sets off the motor especially when you have it all detailed which I think is what you are going for. I don't really like chromed out motors as much as I like a color matched motor with some nice accents so that you can see all the gear.

Kind of like this:

JMO

John
I am way ahead of ya. Although its real dusty, from all the body work I am doing, I have most of the engine compartment already painted in mat black and carbon fiber.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Hi guys:

Working on the hood mod again today.
I added some glass on the under side to clean-up the look.

I think I got the contour right for the leading edge of the hood.

And I re-establish the body line to match the center-line of the rest of the hood.

wisconsinjimmy

Post by wisconsinjimmy »

Dusty,
What type of brake booster did you use, I take it you are going to a dual master.
Jim
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Jim

I can't give you the part number right off the top of my head. But Master Power Brakes set it up for me. Give them a call and ask them which one was sold to Dusty Rhodes. They are a bunch of good guys and have fantastic customer service.
wisconsinjimmy

Post by wisconsinjimmy »

Thank you
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

novanutcase:
Nova, that pic is too small to see the details. Hope I'm not encouraging. :lol:
Did you hear that? That was Daniel doing a face palm!! LOL!!

John
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Well its time to drop the rear end. I think 3.73's will work nicely. Boy was that a B*I*T*C*H. I can tell that this thing has not moved since it was made. Next is the leaf springs. The shackles on the back end were a piece of cake , but I haven't a clue about how to get the front undone.Image

wisconsinjimmy

Post by wisconsinjimmy »

There are four bolts that attach the spring to the frame, remove them and you are home free although you can remove just the spring by getting a good wrench up between the frame and the bracket
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Thanks Jimmy
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Thanks to Jimmy I got the leafs off and did some detail work on some of the parts.

Here is a little before and after on the spring hangers.

Then paint and primer.

And yes I could not leave the rear end alone.
Brian Harris

Post by Brian Harris »

You had me with the hangers... nice work... but what ia up with the axle houziin... tell me robins egg blue is NOT the final color dude... what?

Brian
`55 Ford F-100 Pick-up
`57 D-Bird Restomod
`62 Thunderbird Roadster
`68 Mercedes 280SL Pagoda
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Na. Dude that's primer. The light is playing tricks in that picture. I just haven't finished with black paint. I am waiting until the pumpkin gear change is done. Robin egg blue hummmmmm.