2010 VTCI International - Chicago: pictures, faces, etc.

List Thunderbird ONLY related events in your area
Art Kastl

2010 VTCI International - Chicago: pictures, faces, etc.

Post by Art Kastl »

After I arrive, I plan on having this thread as a kinda 'blog' where I'll post pictures, post some event info., cars on the judging field, etc. as to the 2010 VTCI Intl. in Chicago.

I'll try to keep the pictures up to date to give you an idea on what is going on at this convention if you want.

Let the Party begin !!!

Art :smile:
62 HT Raven Blk/Red "Original/Un-restored"

2009 Bloomington Gold 'Zenith' Award
2010 VTCI 'Wixom Preservation' Award
2011 AACA 'Historical Preservation of Original Features' (HPOF) Award
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

I've got a feeling this will be eating a lot of bandwidth by the time next Sunday passes...if I managed to take over 2000 pictures at 4 gig worth of memory over two weeks in Alaska (and at smaller resolutions, nonetheless), just imagine how many more memory cards I'll need to get for the two days I'll be there :mrgreen: .
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
ejm1961Tbird

Post by ejm1961Tbird »

I can't wait to see the pictures! Have fun at the event!
April Deluca

Post by April Deluca »

We plan on it. Lincolnshire here we come.
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Art what would be really cool is a group shot of all the Forum regulars together; we could put faces to the names we've been reading all these years.

Too bad John (novanutcase) can't be there to document the event in pictures - but on second thought he'd probably crash the server! :roll: :badgrin:

Oh by the way Salt says she wants to see lots of pics of Pepper....
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
Art Kastl

Post by Art Kastl »

Hi Gary,

Hectic as you can imagine but I'll try to take some pics with limited time as you can imagine. Was greated by Jim Wulf, Redstangbob (Bob Craik), Norton Baum, April Deluca, and just picked up Alan Tast at the airport . This is truly a Hoot !!!!

We'll start Operations judging this morning and finish up with car parking by days end. Today Paul Prokop, Alan Tast and others will judge Jim Wulf's, mine and another VTCI members cars for the Wixom and Authenticity awards, and I'll be holding the Golf Outing at 2:0pm.

Hope for good weather for us. Last night I thought a Tornado was going thru with the wind and rain coming down. :shock:

See ya later !

:smile:

redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

What a BLAST!! First a big thanks to the Chicagoland Thunderbird Club, This was obviously a huge task and you pulled it off beautifully. As I pulled into the parking area I was greeted by friendly man that asked my name, when I told him a smile came over his face and as he put his hand out to shake mine he said "you're redstangbob, I'm Art Kastl" I knew this was going to be a good time. :smile: Over the next few days I got to meet some of my forum buddy's, it was good to put a face with the names. I played golf with a couple of guys that don't spend any time here on the forum, but we became fast friends just talking about the cars that we share an interest in. As for the cars, unbelievable :mrgreen: There were a couple of cars that I really wanted to see, and they didn't disappoint. Art's Raven Black was better in person than I imagined, and Jim Wulf's M code was stunning. In another post Kieth Deluca (vic rattlehead) has shots of the whole field, if you like tbirds, this was the place to be. This was my first exposure to car judging, and I can tell you the learning curve is steep. Here's Jim Wulf giving a final touch to the M code before the horn blew
And Jim Mills talking with Jim Wulf later in the day
If you think these guys don't really look closely, your kidding yourself, Here's a judge laying on cardboard to check the undercarriage on mine.
The class of cars was outstanding, the people were just the best. So a shout out to Frank Milne, who shared a golf cart with me. I picked up a bit of a Scottish accent, and being a bit of a Scotsman myself enjoyed his humor as well as his engineering talent, here's just one shot of his car hauler for lack of a better term.
A big thanks to the Deluca family, you all helped make us feel comfortable and welcome. I know I'll miss someone but to the forum guy's Art Kastl, Jim Mills,Kevin and Kieth Deluca, Mike Meinyk, Jim Wulf, Norton Baum, Bob And Terri McNeill, Brian Harris, Bruce Nelson and all the nice people we met, A big thanks for everything from Cheryl and me ;-) And To Bob McNeill, thanks for making me squirm in front of everyone Friday night, the bookends look great in my den :mrgreen:
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
kevindeluca66

Post by kevindeluca66 »

I second your feelings on meeting new folks. Even though our conversation was short it was a pleasure meeting you Bob.
A 66 Thunderbird is cool. A Sapphire Blue 66 is a beautiful car. The 428 engine completes the package.
VTCI#10019 Member since 2002, parents have been members since I was 11 years old.
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

http://www.per-race-engines.com
1996 Thunderbird LX
Mods
Stock is boring and useless!
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Hey, I forgot to ask. What are the Wixom and Authenticity awards? I didn't read all my instructions so bone head me didn't know the judges meetings were for Judges AND owners :oops:
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Art Kastl

Wixom Preservation and Authenticity Awards...

Post by Art Kastl »

Hey, I forgot to ask. What are the Wixom and Authenticity awards? I didn't read all my instructions so bone head me didn't know the judges meetings were for Judges AND owners :oops: - redstangbob
Bob, it was sooooo neat to meet you and your wife Cheryl when you first drove in ... I was lookin' forward to it !!! ;-)

The Wixom Presevation Award and the Authenticity Award for registered tbirds were judged by Alan H. Tast and Paul Prokop on Thr. afternoon at the Intl. (takes a long time to go thru the 3 cars that were registered for these special awards)... I believe they started about 2:30pm and finished 5:00pm that afternoon.

The 'Authenticity Award' is given out to cars that display totally authentic parts, finishes, execution, down to 'correct' date codes and 'rubbings' of manifold, intake, 4100 AFB, tags, diff tag, CoM tags... all relative to the build date of the vehicle. Extremely difficult to do unless you have a car that is complete to start with, or are willing to spend the time /money to put a tbird together to reflect the criteria. Very difficult to achieve as anyone can imagine...

The 'Wixom Preservation Award' is given to cars that are not only 'authentic' but display a vast majority of their totally original paint, chrome, stainless steel, glass, rubber/vinyl, interior, trunk, engine bay, undercarriage, etc. even down to the original battery, tires, v-belts, etc. as the car came out of Wixom !!!! YEOW that is hard to achieve as anyone knows... a true 'Time Capsule' car in our parlance... :mrgreen:

Jim Wulf entered his '63 SR M-code for the Authenticity Award. Jane Durgon-Powers entered her one-owner '64 CV (with original Tonneau), and I entered my '62 HT for the Wixom Preservation Awards.

Stay tuned to find out who achieved these awards...

:mrgreen:

Ps. Alan, if I missed anything, or have any misconceptions about these two awards, please feel free to correct me... ;-)