Why did/would you choose a Flairbird over a Bulletbird?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

jbrd66

Post by jbrd66 »

Found my 66 online through Volo in IL. When I went up there to look at the car, he also had a 63 BulletBird convertible (Brittany Blue, matching top and leather interior w/dual quad). It was a stunning car and I fell in love with it but priced way out of where I was looking.

I've been very happy with the 66 and have bonded quickly with this car. Lots of fun to drive as long as you don't watch the fuel gauge :shock: .

For what it's worth - I also recommend the Volo people. They were very straight to deal with and helpful getting a few items handled on the car prior to shipment.
T-Bird-Art

My 66 Convertible

Post by T-Bird-Art »

Found mine 30 years ago in a junk yard in Bunnel Florida. A body shop stripped the motor and interior and sent it to junk yard filled with floor sweepings. The yard owner dug a moat around the yard to drain storm water. Well, he set the car on top of the moat diggings 15 feet in the air in front of his office. He said,"I knew that bird would pull you in here". I immediately decided I was going to put it back together. Price $200
Top layer of sweepings littered US! between Bunnel and Daytona Beach as it was towed home.
Best part, all the convertible parts were in the trunk! Idiot body shop didn't know how to get into the trunk.
It only took me 6 months of weekends to figure out how and why the top mechanism worked.
redbird1

Post by redbird1 »

DavidA wrote:
kevindeluca66 wrote:David A please post some pics in the thread called OK flair birders time to show off. I am very eager to see pics.Thanks
Kevin: Here is one picture of it as delivered after a 12 year sleep. I'll post more pictures once I get it all cleaned up. She was stored for many years and there are some issues including some oil leaks that are being addressed now. I also have to get new tires before it is really ready.

David, your car is exactly what I was looking for (as for the color exterior and interior) when I finally settled on my town landau.
I really wanted a convertible.
Good luck with it.
Bob.
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

DavidA: Here is one picture of it as delivered after a 12 year sleep. I'll post more pictures once I get it all cleaned up. She was stored for many years and there are some issues including some oil leaks that are being addressed now. I also have to get new tires before it is really ready.

Nice!
I just realized that yours is one of very few I've seen without rear skirts, instead having the chrome trim around the actual wheel well opening.
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333
DavidA

Post by DavidA »

Actually, I like it without the skirts. A little unusual as most have the skirts.

BTW, that picture was take just as it was backed out of the enclosed car carrier.
1966 Q-Code Convertible. 29000 original miles. 1 owner all original with A/C. Power Windows, Power Antenna, 8-Track, Saffire Blue, White Interior
Also 2002 Thunderbird - Black/Red I am the original owner.
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

I'd have to agree!

:cool:
~ Daniel
VTCI #11333
kevindeluca66

Post by kevindeluca66 »

Yea David they look identcal except for the skirts. I really like the skirts as I think they make the car look longer
A 66 Thunderbird is cool. A Sapphire Blue 66 is a beautiful car. The 428 engine completes the package.
VTCI#10019 Member since 2002, parents have been members since I was 11 years old.
DavidA

Post by DavidA »

They do make the car look longer .. and don't forget lower too. BUT, nearly every flairbird you see have the skirts. At least for '66 they were removed by the factory and made optional. Having one without the skirts sets it apart from ALL the others.
1966 Q-Code Convertible. 29000 original miles. 1 owner all original with A/C. Power Windows, Power Antenna, 8-Track, Saffire Blue, White Interior
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

there is a poster that kevin and i both have, it shows a bird from each year from 55-66 and the 66 bird is a sapphire blue with white and it also does not have the skirts.

imo im kinda partial to the skirts. like you all said most all the flairbirds have them so it looks weird without them.
http://www.per-race-engines.com
1996 Thunderbird LX
Mods
Stock is boring and useless!
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

Don't get me wrong - they look great in skirts, too, but it's a much more "formal" look, especially with a Townie. Taking the skirts off looks a lot..."sportier".

~ Daniel
VTCI #11333
DavidA

Post by DavidA »

All a matter of personal taste. That's why they were not totally discontinued, but made optional, so the buyer could choose.

Part of the trouble with today's csaars is there is very limited choice .. no individuality unless you put on 40" wheels with paper thin rubber.
tbird

Post by tbird »

Actually "fender shields" where optional from 1955 to 1966 but 66 was the only year that the stailess steel trim was on the bottom of the optional skirts or if it rolled out the factory door without the skirts the stainless trim was installed in the whee opening.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

The funny thing, though, was that '66 was the first year that Ford showed them "skirtless" in all their ads, as if that was to be the new "standard", yet I've seen VERY few '66s that didn't have them like the previous years.
~ Daniel
VTCI #11333
tbirdjim

Post by tbirdjim »

I bought a TBird cuz it wasn't a Mustang. I could build a hot rod sleeper out of a comfortable car.
1965 convertible 'Betsy'.
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

60fore: Good topic for discussion! Personally I like both eras of Birds (obviously) but the '64 just happened along first. I'd been looking for a 'Bird for over a year until I found one that I liked in the online Auto Trader.

People who see my two cars can't believe they're only two model years apart - there really is quite a difference but each style has its own merits IMO.
I was glad to see you were the first to post up here, Gary, since you're presently the standard bearer of both model ownership!
In fact, it was actually your new acquisition that gave me the idea for the thread in the first place. :thumbleft:
~ Daniel
VTCI #11333