Why did/would you choose a Flairbird over a Bulletbird?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

TsNStangs

Why did/would you choose a Flairbird over a Bulletbird?

Post by TsNStangs »

OK, just like the header says: whether you actually own one or not, why do you like the Flair cars ('64-'66) better than the Bullets ('61-'63)?
I'm comparing the two only because of their closeness in years of production, and obvious overall similarities, at least mechanically. I'm guessing it's probably overwhelmingly due to style, but for you, was it something more mundane, like the one you bought just happened to be available at a great price? Or you really like the Bullets better, but your '64 was handed down through the family from your father's father's great-grandmother's college roommate's maid so you had to keep it in the family?
Chime in and let us know your reasons and opinions - no holds barred! :mrgreen:

P.S. I'll be posting the same/opposite thing in the '61-'63 forum, too...
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Good topic for discussion! Personally I like both eras of Birds (obviously) but the '64 just happened along first. I'd been looking for a 'Bird for over a year until I found one that I liked in the online Auto Trader.

People who see my two cars can't believe they're only two model years apart - there really is quite a difference but each style has its own merits IMO.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

I think I mentioned it before but my best friends dad had a 64/65 when they were new, and I just thought it was the coolest car I had ever seen. If I were looking for a tbird to modify, it would be a square bird, weird huh?
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Randy Mattson

Choice

Post by Randy Mattson »

I had spent maybe 6 months shopping for an old car, preferably late 50s, and a '66 Thunderbird hardtop jumped into my lap (figuratively). After joining the local T-Bird club and learning a lot about these things, I found an ad in the local shopper for a '65 Thunderbird convertible at a price I could agree to.
I like the 65 for a couple of reasons...1965 was the first year I could drive legally, the first year for the sequential signals, front disc brakes, and the first year for the reversible key.
Actually, I like the styling of the squarebirds the best, although I like almost every motor vehicle made.
Randy Mattson
DavidA

I like them both, but my wife love the back seat on the ...

Post by DavidA »

Flair Birds. I like the 66 best of the 3 because of the 428 engine. The car just seems more refined than the 64-65's.

OH, and that back seat ... WOW!!! So unique and beautiful.
Last edited by DavidA on Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1966 Q-Code Convertible. 29000 original miles. 1 owner all original with A/C. Power Windows, Power Antenna, 8-Track, Saffire Blue, White Interior
Also 2002 Thunderbird - Black/Red I am the original owner.
KKC

Post by KKC »

5 reasons for me...

1 - The dashboard of the Flair-Birds are quite possibly the most unique ever installed into any car. No other car has captured the appearance of a airplane the way that Flair-Birds did.

2 - The back seat of the Flair-Birds are the most sofa-like I have ever seen. A unique styling that was to carry on until '69 with the rap-around seat back.

3 - For me, the '66 models stole my attention due to their unique body. The '64 and '65 are essentially the same cars with just a few appointment changes, but the '66 has totally unique sheet metal from the firewall forward with a 1 year only front bumper and grille, and the 1 year only Landau models that eliminated the rear 1/4 window.

4 - I feel that the styling of the Flair-Birds is where Ford took their styling ques for the Mustang. Park a Flair-Bird next to a Mustang, stand back 20 feet, and you will see how much the Mustang resembles the T-Bird. Even the '67 Mustang stole the styling ques that year for the dashboard from the Flair-Birds.

5 - Flair-Birds where the absolute last of the breed, as all years hatched after the '66 model, Thunderbirds were built upon a chassis or platform that was shared with other Ford vehicles and hence, the Thunderbird lost its uniqueness within the Ford family.

That's what sold me on the Flair-Bird over a Bullit-Bird. B-Birds are still cool too!
Kenny

1966 Tudor Hardtop Wimbledon White (Paint Code "MA", so when I repaint her, I'll do the roof Raven Black)

"Up From The Ashes Of Disaster, Grow The Roses Of Success"
redbird1

Post by redbird1 »

In 1965, I bought my first Tbird.
It was a 63 black convertible with a red interior.
Loved that car.
Later I traded it for a 65 landau.
Many years past, and I started looking for another 63 convertible.
I wanted one fully restored, or close too it, but couldn't find one in my price range.
I always like the styling of the 66 landau, so started looking for one.
Again, fully restored, or close too it.
I found my present 66 online, and with the exception of some faulty electrical, it is fantastic.
Bob.
vacreeper

Post by vacreeper »

My first car was a 63 Galaxie so I experienced all of the 60's Ford products when they were new. And while I like the exterior styling of the bullet birds a lot, I long ago settled on 1966 as my year. By that time you could get virtually every option that is available today, power door locks, cruise control. A/C, disc brakes, etc. I also like the fact that the 66 Fords were the last of an era. After that everything changed and got much, much bigger. Two years ago I stumbled over a special order convertible and bought it not knowing what I had found. I really like the car and consider myself very lucky. Even a blind pig finds an acorn every now and then. Steve
kevindeluca66

Post by kevindeluca66 »

Buying a 66 was a no brainer for me. My mom bought a 66 brand new in Aug. of 66 after she found out that there were no ragtops coming in 1967. When I was younger my parents still had the car and they had it restored so they could take my brother and I to car shows. Mom still has the car and when I found my car it was as close to being the same as I had ever seen. There was no question that I had to have the car and I got my wish. Its a 66 sapphire blue 428 with white and blue int. A/M 8 track power windows deluxe wheel covers and fender skirts. These are just some of things that make them twins. Only big difference is mine is a town hardtop and moms is a convert.
I think if I had a second choice I would go with a powder blue 59 ragtop, I just love the spear on the door

David A please post some pics in the thread called OK flair birders time to show off. I am very eager to see pics.Thanks
Last edited by kevindeluca66 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:43 am, edited 5 times in total.
A 66 Thunderbird is cool. A Sapphire Blue 66 is a beautiful car. The 428 engine completes the package.
VTCI#10019 Member since 2002, parents have been members since I was 11 years old.
bughunter

Post by bughunter »

I love my 66, I fell into the sweetest deal. It has been a great father/son project old school street rod. Having said that my next will be a 62/63, I love the nose and round tailights.
T-Bird-Art

Post by T-Bird-Art »

redbird1 wrote: I found my present 66 online, and with the exception of some faulty electrical, it is fantastic.
Bob.

Love your red / white color inside and outside. Red seat belts on white is georgeous.
Art
DavidA

Post by DavidA »

kevindeluca66 wrote:David A please post some pics in the thread called OK flair birders time to show off. I am very eager to see pics.Thanks
Kevin: Here is one picture of it as delivered after a 12 year sleep. I'll post more pictures once I get it all cleaned up. She was stored for many years and there are some issues including some oil leaks that are being addressed now. I also have to get new tires before it is really ready.

Last edited by DavidA on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.
1966 Q-Code Convertible. 29000 original miles. 1 owner all original with A/C. Power Windows, Power Antenna, 8-Track, Saffire Blue, White Interior
Also 2002 Thunderbird - Black/Red I am the original owner.
Dirty Birdy

Post by Dirty Birdy »

I was actually looking for a bullet bird when I came across my 66 on ebay. Found it with 15min left in the auction and got the car off the original owner for $700. It was a gamble as all the auction said was "66 ford thunderbird, does not run" and had only 2 pictures up so I really had no idea what conditon the car was.
Out of the flair birds I like the 66 the best. I love the rear end how it lights up across the entire rear end, I compair it to the likes of the rear end of the millenium falken from star wars. LOL I also like the clean looks of the front end. Like others said it resembles that of a mustang. I also like the heavy body lines that break up the sides of these cars, it just screams two tone.
I have to admit though, the front end of a bullet bird is one of the best looking front ends out of any 60s car, or any car for that matter. IMO
I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder!
T-Bird-Art

Post by T-Bird-Art »

DavidA wrote:
kevindeluca66 wrote:Image

What is hotlinking ?
That means we can no longer post pictures ??
redbird1

Post by redbird1 »

T-Bird-Art wrote:
redbird1 wrote: I found my present 66 online, and with the exception of some faulty electrical, it is fantastic.
Bob.

Love your red / white color inside and outside. Red seat belts on white is gorgeous.
Art
When I first looked at this bird, that was the one thing that told me I had to have this car.
The contrast is striking to say the least.
Not done to stock, but it really catches one's attention.
Bob.