1963 Rotunda Tachometer

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

tbirdgreg

1963 Rotunda Tachometer

Post by tbirdgreg »

I see in Wonders book that he says 1963 was the first available external tach as an acessory for the Thunderbird. While he shows no pictures of an instalation position or details he does say it was a 0-8000 RPM Tach. I see other Rotunda Tach's that are 0-6000 RPM. Were both available or which were avaiable in which years. Any one know if they were available from the factory or only over the counter for the Ford dealer? Anyone know of the mounting location or instalation details for the Tach?
63 Thunderbird Roadster
64 Thunderbird (Tonnau Cover)
Alan H. Tast

Rotunda Tach

Post by Alan H. Tast »

The Rotunda tachometer is an electric unit which was manufactured by the Faria Company. I actually have 4000, 6000 and 8000 rpm versions that I've collected over the years and have learned that typically the 4000 and 6000 types were used with 4 or 6-cylinder engines, with the 6000 and 8000 able to be used with both 6- and 8-cylinders. The 8000 rpm version is typically what owners of V-8s got, even though running the big-block Ford past 5000 rpm was a rarity for the average driver. They were strictly a dealer-installed/supplied item, and were offered through the mid-late '60s over the parts counter.

Mounting the Faria-style tachs was pretty open-ended, depending on how the person wanted to install it. In basic form, the tach could be mounted in a hole cut into the dash board, as the outer trim ring was set up with a ledge. An optional chrome-plated cup with a nub on it for use with a L-shaped metal mounting bracket was typically used: a worm clamp attached to the cup's mounting bracket would allow it to be fastened to the steering column, which was great for cars like the Galaxie with a fixed column, but bad for T-birds with the movable one. Another bracket could be attached to the cup's nub which would allow it to be attached virtually anywhere on the dash or console.

I have seen them typically mounted under the clock to the instrument cluster housing, and positioned so that the column still can have full range of movement and still be seen by the driver. Another popular place is attached to the plate that holds the map light, and another is on the center panel of the console. The console location doesn't lend itself to being able to see the tach when driving, though. Others have mounted it to the radio speaker grille, which would be much easier to see when driving, and even into the top of the dash pad/frame.

Ford offered two types of tachometers in '62 for the entire Ford/Mercury lineup the Faria-sourced one, and one manufactured by Sun with a remote box that contained electronics for its operation. The Sun setup was more for heavy-duty/racing applications. In '63, a smaller-bodied tachometer was brought out for use in the Falcon/Falcon Sprint and could be used in any Ford/Mercury. Lucky me, I also have an original 8000 rpm version of these that came out of a Fairlane. This tachometer was reproduced within the past 10 years as it was also marketed toward Mustangs. Other styles were offered with a Cobra label as the mid-'60s came on.

The Faria-style tach is most-closely associated with the T-bird only because it was illustrated in the Accessories and Options section of the '63 Owner's Manual. In reality, the Falcon Sprint-type tach or the Sun tach could also be used. All the tachs noted above were marketed as a universal-type application.
Last edited by Alan H. Tast on Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
tbirdgreg

Post by tbirdgreg »

Thanks Alan, I knew you would have most of the answer if anyone had it. I am trying to decide if I would like to install a Tach in my Thunderbird or not, but wanted to know more about them. I am pretty committed to keeping it looking as stock as possible, but adding orginal acessories is still within my goal of keeping it stock. You really shared the information I was looking for. Thanks
Gregory
63 Thunderbird Roadster
tbirdgreg

Post by tbirdgreg »

I have looked at the information in your reply quite a few times and I really appriciate you taking the time to share this information. My 63 Thunderbird Registered Owners Manual shows the Rotunda 8,000 rpm tach. and I have recently acquired the Fiera 8,000 rpm tach. I know the face can be changed but I'll probably leave it as it is. Now the question I have to solve is where to mount it. I think the two choices are on the speaker grill or in the center consol toward the front. Any recommendations from your experience? Thanks Gregory
63 Thunderbird Roadster
Alan H. Tast

Tach mounting location choice

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Mounting it to the speaker grille would place it near eye level, but the grille is held in place by clips, meaning the grille could pop loose if subjected to a lot of vibration, rough roads, etc. Mounting it next to the opening through the dash pad would mean having to cut into the pad, and pulling out the radio/speaker in order to get to the underside of the dash frame.

Placing it on top of the center console would not be convenient for looking at while driving, but it offers a more-secure place to do it as the bracket can be screwed into the console subframe and ribbed aluminum trim. One of the down sides is that getting to the heater/AC controls may be difficult, and you also have to route the wiring somehow through the dash/console to the ignition switch and distributor.

My primary personal preference would be to mount it mount it below the radio by bolting it to the panel that the map light is in. Second choice for me would be to mount it below the dash cluster's clock off a bracket so that it wouldn't interfere with any controls or the swing-away column.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
tbirdgreg

Post by tbirdgreg »

Very good thoughts Alan, thanks again. I just put a new dash in the car so I'm not excited about cutting or modifying the dash. I had not thought about the interference of the heater and air controls, but it sure could interfer with those controls. I'll study the area under the radio and under the clock as a possibility. I'll let you know what I decide. I do want to be able to remove it without leaving permanent modifications to the stock materials. I am sure it can be done and look nice.
63 Thunderbird Roadster
Mvs62bulletbird

Re: 1963 Rotunda Tachometer

Post by Mvs62bulletbird »

Hi Alan, and everyone else that has posted regarding the location of a tachometer in the vehicle being a 62 Ford Thunderbird roadster. Has anything changed in your mind since 2005 that’s almost 19 years since this was posted? And does anyone know where I can get a really good replica tachometerfor my 62 roadster. And all that I have read and researched I’m coming back with the same location being center council I don’t have air-conditioning right where the map light goes in the dash light goes. The other choice is over the front center speakers, and then using aggressive Velcro she secure the speaker cover to the and then the tachometer sits on top of that so it’s basically eye level it a black out case.

Since we’re running 6 V to the instruments this is obviously a 12 V tachometer coming off the negative pull of the coil and then to the ground on the frame.

I will ask again does anyone have tachometer that will work that they’d like to sell or donate for to the cause for my T-bird that would be great

thanks for having this information available

Michael Vonsmith
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Mvs62bulletbird wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:20 pm Hi Alan, and everyone else that has posted regarding the location of a tachometer in the vehicle being a 62 Ford Thunderbird roadster. Has anything changed in your mind since 2005 - that’s almost 19 years since this was posted? Does anyone know where I can get a really good replica tachometer for my 62 roadster? And all that I have read and researched I’m coming back with the same location being center console. I don’t have air-conditioning right where the map light goes in the dash. The other choice is over the front center speakers, and then using aggressive Velcro she secure the speaker cover to the and then the tachometer sits on top of that so it’s basically eye level it a black out case.

Michael Vonsmith
Nothing's really changed since 2005 except I've collected a few more Faria/Rotunda tachs, one of which I intend to mount in my '63 Sports Roadster. This is what the Rotunda tach, cup and bracket look like. I need to get the cup and bracket, though.
Rotunda 8000 RPM Tach, cup & mounting bracket
Rotunda 8000 RPM Tach, cup & mounting bracket
4-in-8k-tach-bracket.jpg (13.08 KiB) Viewed 438 times

I did mount my Faria 8-grand tach with a cup that has a stamped 'post' in the side of the cup and a corresponding stamping that suspends the tach from the underside of my dash light panel using one of the existing screw holes for the panel with a longer oval-head sheet metal screw and a washer.
20240224_085901.jpg

The wiring runs through a plastic conduit/sleeve from the back of the cup to under the lower knee rail and over to the ignition switch without having to cut a hole in the dash panel. I like this much better than mounting it on the console for aforementioned reasons, primarily access to the heater control head and being able to see it when driving (there's enough distractions as it is).
20240224_085740.jpg
20240224_085657.jpg
20240224_085639.jpg
20240224_085619.jpg

While running the wiring out in the open is not the most aesthetic thing to do, I didn't want to take the time to drill into the light panel and route the wiring around the back of the dash. Since I have a few spare panels I could take one, drill a hole in it and use a rubber grommet to pass the wiring through (and may still do that).

If anything has changed since 2005 it's the growing number of numnuts that can't take their eyes of their cell phones and pay attention to driving. I still do not recommend mounting the tach through the speaker grille.

Now, if you want to fabricate a bracket that goes on the underside of the dash/speaker opening, comes up under the speaker and works its way around the edge of the speaker and the grille and off to the side for front of the opening, that could be done, but you still have to figure out how to route the wiring out of the back/side of the tachometer through the dash and tap into the Ignition switch wiring and run out into the engine bay.

I'm not aware of a reproduction of the Faria/Rotunda tachometers. There are reproductions of the smaller Falcon Sprint version that I've seen, but for the most part you'll have to keep an eye open at swap meets, online auction sites, etc. as they do show up from time to time. And, in case you weren't aware of it, the 4"-faced tachs didn't come with a black or camera/wrinkle-finished case - they used a chrome-plated cup.
Last edited by Alan H. Tast on Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

I had the exact one I found on E Bay. I had it installed . I was fortune to also had the back cup plus the mounting base . It was a great find from EBay. I wish I still had it. When I sold my 61 I removed it from my Bird, I did sell it for $850.00.....back in 2015
Attachments
tilt_wheel_and_tach.png
tach_1.png
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Mvs62bulletbird

Post by Mvs62bulletbird »

Fantastic!! This is great information and pics Wow. And Alan will laugh as I’m in the correct t-bird year forum. Yes, the only thing that’s changed is more idiots on the road with cell phones glued to their head. I know that wow when I ride my motorcycles, they’re out there and they don’t care. I really like the pictures that were posted of the tachometer off to the side and that keeps my center consul free,

Did you guys run these off of 12 V tach or 6 V tach or doesn’t really matter.

I also saw the moon retro one which I’m really tempted to go after because of the sweep. It looks more. Correct it’s easy to read

Another question for you guys. What size diameter tack is best to work with I’m looking at 3 3/8. Your opinions and sharing are great I really appreciate it. I’m so happy I’m getting a ipa to celebrate with

I also attached a picture so you guys can see what my tail lights look like now with new the LED and Circut Board upgrade in the bulb and this is without even hitting the brakes, just running lights. You should see it then it’ll light it up.
Attachments
IMG_5771.jpeg
IMG_5777.png
IMG_6542.jpeg
IMG_6547.png
IMG_6556.png
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

I have the Moon Tach in my 53 customline I like it...btw Riding my 97 Heritage Springer today is a challenging because of the idiots driving with cell phones attached in their head.....
Attachments
1953-ford-customline (10).jpg
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
62roadster

Post by 62roadster »

Period correct Radatron Tach mounted off of courtesy light fastener with a simple home-made bracket, no holes or alterations needed, tach is in clear view and out of the way of the swing-away wheel,,,
Attachments
Rad_tach.jpg
OM1963

Post by OM1963 »

Here are some options for you if you would like a period Faria version for reasonable money. I once used a moon eyes cup on a Faria tachometer, and it fit rather well with a slight gap between the tach rim. Someone was also reproducing the original type cup and bracket in recent years. I will dig up the details.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126316412687?i ... R8KqlsW6Yw

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225978665009?i ... R8KqlsW6Yw
Angelo
1963 Hardtop
Now Raven Black/Corinthian White/Code 76 interior
Originally Green Mist/Corinthian White/Code 76 interior
OM1963

Post by OM1963 »

Angelo
1963 Hardtop
Now Raven Black/Corinthian White/Code 76 interior
Originally Green Mist/Corinthian White/Code 76 interior
62roadster

Post by 62roadster »

Interestingly, the Faria tach with the ebay link, shows a picture of the wiring diagram label, which over the years becomes no longer readable from age or being handled by sellers and buyers of swap meets and flea markets; this eBay one still looks readable.

As I remember Faria tachs are not wired the same as most other tachometers of the day and consequently were burned out by people wiring them incorrectly, due to the wiring diagram on the tach being either missing, not readable, or just plain ignored!

That being said, the tach listed for sale on eBay for $300, doesn't say whether it's working or not; buyer beware!,,,