wiper arm

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

sleeper bird

wiper arm

Post by sleeper bird »

i have looked in the shop manual on how to remove wiper arms on a 66,am i missing it.i want to clean the drains under the cowl.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

I use a crimp type electrical connector to negate the spring pressure. I'll try to get a picture up. If the arms are corroded to the transmissions, thats a whole different animal :???: Good luck, Bob C

Here's the connector holding the spring back. Once you have the 'weight' off the spline, the arm shopuld lift straight up. Hope this helps.

It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

that is a very good idea,still looks to be a pain.
Alan H. Tast

Wiper Arm Removal

Post by Alan H. Tast »

There is a special tool used to pry up on the bottom of the arm's base and the clip: Leslie makes one but I don't know the number for it - I got one from a tool store that had a very well-stocked automotive section, so try Sears, Snap-On, Matco, your local parts store, etc. It has a spring-loaded handle and u-shaped plates on the busienss end. Squeeze the handle and it pushes the arm up and off the wiper shaft.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Yeah theres this set of pliers http://www.chain-auto-tools.com/auto_bo ... MM605L.htm Don't know what they cost. The connector thing is a bit of a pain I guess, but wiper arms don't need to come off very often. Good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
suckatash

Post by suckatash »

I TOOK MINE OFF . YOU PUSH AT THE HINGE TOWARD THE WINDSHIELD. THIS WILL RELEASE THE CLIP . THEN I TOOK A THIN ROPE OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT AROUND THE WIPER ARM BETWEEN POST AND THE COWL THATS WHY IT MUST BE THIN THEN WITH THE ARM PUSHED FLAT AT THE HINGE PULL STRING.WIGLE ON POST SHOULD COME OFF.
ornithology

Re:

Post by ornithology »

suckatash wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:56 am I TOOK MINE OFF . YOU PUSH AT THE HINGE TOWARD THE WINDSHIELD. THIS WILL RELEASE THE CLIP . THEN I TOOK A THIN ROPE OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT AROUND THE WIPER ARM BETWEEN POST AND THE COWL THATS WHY IT MUST BE THIN THEN WITH THE ARM PUSHED FLAT AT THE HINGE PULL STRING.WIGLE ON POST SHOULD COME OFF.
this technique worked beautifully while on the road
when my wipers suddenly started binding against the cowl.
i think my body guy put them on misaligned after painting
the cowl

i had an audio cable in the trunk that was just thin enough
to wrap under the arm. it was the only tool i needed!
Gillerd

Re:

Post by Gillerd »

redstangbob wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:12 am Yeah theres this set of pliers http://www.chain-auto-tools.com/auto_bo ... MM605L.htm Don't know what they cost. The connector thing is a bit of a pain I guess, but wiper arms don't need to come off very often. Good luck, Bob C
That looks like a nice set of pliers. Gonna get a set myself.