Window Relay

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

tornado

Window Relay

Post by tornado »

Can someone please tell me if the windows in a '64 have a seperate relay and if so where it is :?:
________
HERBAL VAPORIZER
Last edited by tornado on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H. Tast

Window Relay '64

Post by Alan H. Tast »

The '64 uses circuit breakers located in the fuse panel on the passenger side kick panel for the window circuit. There is also what is called a "safety relay" mounted on the firewall in the engine compartment which prevents power from being supplied to the power windows and power seats unless the ignition switch is in the ON or ACCY position. This relay can be bypassed to allow for operation of the seats and windows with the ignition switch in the OFF position. Without an electrical schematic in front of me, I'm not sure if there are additional ones. Someone else can respond to this if there are.

I strongly urge you get copies of the shop manual, electrical schematic manual and the electrical assembly manual. They will go a long way in helping you understand the complexities of the car, and are well worth the money.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
kellerseller

Window safety relay

Post by kellerseller »

A slight correction on Alan's post.. The seat does not have a safety relay. The relay in the engine compartment is for the windows only.. The seat is only protected by a circuit breaker. It can be operated with the ignition off.
keller birder
rasher

Post by rasher »

Confirmed. The seat in my '64 works with the key off.