cleaning out the surge tank

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Larry Jones

cleaning out the surge tank

Post by Larry Jones »

I have a 62-ford tbird convertible. It has some residue built up inside the tank.The radiator looks brand new but the inside of the surge as I said The hoses need to be replaced also. Any procedure in cleaning the surge only or should I flush the hole system out. If I just flush the surge out by disconnecting the top hole only. Or I coulg pour the flush in the surge and let it circulate passing the residue through the entire system. Thanks Larry
See a great deal on a T-Bird let me know!!

Larry
vince

Post by vince »

If you have rust residue and such in the surge tank its obviously in the engine. I'd flush with whole system with the old hoses in place. Then, replace the old hoses once you have the system cleaned. If you see any kind of corrosion or what not around the surge tank, I'd take it to a radiator shop and let them pressure test it.

BTW in most cities it is legal to pour the old antifreeze down the toilet (if you are not on a septic system). The sewage treatment breaks down the ethylene glycol.

Vince
'66 Convertible, 428, in progress