NEW WHEELS FOR MY 63

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

tbirder

Post by tbirder »

Yeti Man wrote:Tbirder, what kind of pearl white paint is that? It looks great! I am going to remove the vynil top and paint the roof, and I think I just saw the color I want!

Thanks,
Randy
Hey there Yeti,
The paint is a PPG 3 step. It's 1999 Cadilac "White Diamond". That was the only year for that color shade. After that year they went to a bit of a "bone" or "gold" tint pearl. The 1999 was a briliant white. Then after I mixed the stock mix, I threw in just a pinch of "blue pearl". I did this to sort of go along with the blue interior and the factory blue tinted glass.
You can't get the full effect in the shop. You should see this old thing out in the sun shine. It's craappy body work and a mediocre paint job, but like I said, in the sun light it kicks!
Clint
Clint
tbirder

Post by tbirder »

TsNStangs wrote:Lookin' good!
You're right though - at least from the angle of the pics - the tires look a bit on the "short" side. Did you match the aftermarket tire (overall) diameter to the diameter of the factory tire?
Hi Stangs,
I'm actually having a larger dia. tire mounted in the next day or two. It's going to be a ???-55-18. I'm trying to better fill the fender well and at ride height, I don't want to be able to see the top of the tire below the bottom of the fender opening.
I'll post a shot later this week.
Clint
tbirder

Post by tbirder »

The wheels are Centerline "Softail" model, 17 x 7, 3.5" bs on the front, 5" on the rear. They are American made, and there was no charge for custom backspacing, although they said once they make wheels in an odd bs, they are mine, fit or not. I must have measured the rear wheel well a dozen times! They are really top notch, and compliment the lines of the car great.

By the way, I have replaced/rebuilt all of the suspension and steering; The rear is stock with all new components, the front is stock with a 1.325" sway bar and I cut one coil from the new springs to lower the front about 1.75"

Hope this helps!

Randy[/quote]

Hey there Yeti,
Could you post a website/phone number? I went to their website and couldn't find your wheel. I'm interested in checking them out.
Clint
tbirder

18" WHEELS

Post by tbirder »

Hey all,
Got the new larger tire (235/50 ZR 18) on last night. Not perfect, but a lot better than the first "Slot Car" looking tire. And still no clearence problems.
Clint

Image[/img]
TsNStangs

Re: 18" WHEELS

Post by TsNStangs »

Hey all,
Got the new larger tire (235/50 ZR 18) on last night. Not perfect, but a lot better than the first "Slot Car" looking tire. And still no clearence problems.
Clint
Definitely looking better!
Just my 2 cents worth - feel free to take it or leave it - but I did some "cypherin' ", and based on the recommended stock (modern) size tire of 215/75-14, which has an approx. overall diameter of 26 3/4", that tire you just tried is actually a bit larger in diameter/circumference size at about 27 1/4".
If you want something a bit beefier, since I've seen quite a few '61-'66 Birds running 245 width tires, a 245/45-18 works out to be identical to the stockers' 26 3/4" diameter, or if you still want something taller, a 245/50-18 is about 27 1/2"...
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333
tbirder

Re: 18" WHEELS

Post by tbirder »

TsNStangs wrote:
Hey all,
Clint
Definitely looking better!
Just my 2 cents worth - feel free to take it or leave it - but I did some "cypherin' ", and based on the recommended stock (modern) size tire of 215/75-14, which has an approx. overall diameter of 26 3/4", that tire you just tried is actually a bit larger in diameter/circumference size at about 27 1/4".
If you want something a bit beefier, since I've seen quite a few '61-'66 Birds running 245 width tires, a 245/45-18 works out to be identical to the stockers' 26 3/4" diameter, or if you still want something taller, a 245/50-18 is about 27 1/2"...
Hey there Stangs,
Hey, you just keep on sending those 2 cent opinions, I need all the help I can get!
If think I understand what you're saying is the 245/45 18 would give me a wider tire. I'm actually trying to get a taller sidewall more than a wider tire. With an 18" rim that's tuff to do. This wheel company doesn't make a 17" and that's where I run into trouble.
I can actually use a little taller tire any way. I'm running a 12 qt oil pan and the taller tire let's me drop the stance of the front end but it buys me a little more ground clearence at the same time.
I think this is where I'm going with the front. Now the rear is a different story. It's looking now like I might just narrow the rear end so I can put the wheel/ tire combo in that I really want and not have to worry about the skirt issue.
Clint
Yeti Man

Post by Yeti Man »

I am running 245/45 R17's, and with the front lowered, it looks just right.

The Centerline link is:

http://centerlinewheels.com/wheel_deals ... data=5-4.5

They make these in sizes up to 20". To see more of the wheels, do a "bolt pattern" search.
'63 Thunderbird Ex-Landau
Registry #31935
You can always tell a Texan......but you can't tell him much.
tbirder

Post by tbirder »

Yeti Man wrote:I am running 245/45 R17's, and with the front lowered, it looks just right.

The Centerline link is:

http://centerlinewheels.com/wheel_deals ... data=5-4.5

They make these in sizes up to 20". To see more of the wheels, do a "bolt pattern" search.
Hey Yeti,
Thanks a ton for the link. I'm going to check these guys out today.
Clint
sleek63

Post by sleek63 »

Hey Clint,

As you know, I've been keeping an eye on your saga of finding your right wheel and tire combo. A post or two earlier you said you might consider narrowing your 'Birds rear-end to get a wider wheel to fit while still keeping your skirts. Does this mean cutting down the Ford's 9 inch, or are you swapping in an narrower factory rear-end? If you are considering the latter, here's a little bit of info I found out ("on the google") on various factory axle widths:

86 to 93 V8 mustangs 58.75"
90 to 97 Ford Ranger 58.75
94 to 2003 Ford Exploders 59.75
90 to 95 Aerostar 59.75
79 to 2002 crown vick 62.8"

Plus...
84-92 Thunderbird V6/V8 = same as the 86-93 Mustang 4x4.25" pattern.
87-88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 61.5" w/disc brakes. 4x4.25" bolt pattern.
84-92ish Lincoln Mark VII & 82-end of rear drive production Continential also 61.5" wide w/ disc brakes, BUT 5x4.5" pattern.
94-98 Mustang 60.25" w/disc brakes and 5x4.5" pattern
99-04 Mustang 61-5/8" w/disc brakes and 5x4.5"

For what it's worth... the Explorer 8.8" is the best (in this poster's opinion).

Here's why.....

Factory 31 spline axles
Factory Traction-Lok on the majority of them
Came with 3.55's at a minimum, but most got 3.73's & many got 4.10's
Disc brakes -- Disk brakes -- Disk brakes
Integral parking brake (inside the back of the disc brakes)
5x4.5" bolt pattern

If I remember correctly, our 'Birds factory rear end is around 61.75 inches wheel mounting surface to wms.

It may be a whole lot cheaper to go to the bone yard rather than cutting down the 9 inch.

Trent
word on the street is... I was conceived in a '63 Bird
t_birder

Post by t_birder »

Hey guys,
The guy that I'm getting my wheels and tires from just sent a set over for the rear. The rims were 18 x 9.5 and the tires I swear were for a one ton truck! Needless to say they went back.
My problem is I like the style of the Boss Wheel so much, but they start at 18". This makes it so damn hard to find a tire that works.
After looking at John's "Black Bird" with the Coy"s on it, it's got me thinking. I put a call into them and I'll see if they can help with a diameter/offset that will work.
I can't wait to post a shot of my "full set" of wheels and tires mounted!
Clint
tbirder

WHEELS FOR MY 63

Post by tbirder »

Well I finaly settled on the wheel/tire combo. And I don't mind telling you guys that the whole process was a pain.
Although I thought the boss 338 was the sharpest wheel out there I had to pass. Between the VERY limited size and offset selection coupled with the absolute a$$ holes they employ for tech/customer service I ended up dropping them.
I went with the American Racing Torque Thrust M Shelby's. They were a bolt on set without having to narrow the rear end and the skirts still fit fine.
I went with the 17" x 8" up front with 18" x 9" in the rear.

Image[/img]

Last edited by tbirder on Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Great choice ! ! !
I like the looks of being similar to the 60's chrome mags that would have been popular at the time these cars were current and the larger diameter sizes that are in use today. In my opinion a good compromize all the way around especially considering the fact that no modifications had to be made. I have no problem what so ever with someone wanting to make modifications, but it has to have the right look for me to really like it, and you accompished that! Nice. J
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
car guy

Post by car guy »

They look really sharp on there. I like the size combo too.

It's cool that you got the skirts on there, I don't think mine would fit, either due to the 2" lower ride or the offset, they'd hit the wheels.
Timothy

It's for my twin boys. Sure, they're only 4 right now, but it's all for them! And the girls, they'll want to drive too - they won't turn 3 for a while yet, but when they do, I'll have a pit crew!

Go Penguins!
tbirder

Post by tbirder »

Joe Johnston wrote:Great choice ! ! !
I like the looks of being similar to the 60's chrome mags that would have been popular at the time these cars were current and the larger diameter sizes that are in use today. In my opinion a good compromize all the way around especially considering the fact that no modifications had to be made. I have no problem what so ever with someone wanting to make modifications, but it has to have the right look for me to really like it, and you accompished that! Nice. J
Hey there Joe,
Thanks for the thumbs up. I looked at wheels till I was ready to pass out. But having the old 60's Crager look was what I always came back to. It just seems to belong on this car.
It's just a shame that the wheel manufacturers are so out of touch with guys like us with the older cars. I realize there are more Nissan's and Honda's than T birds being built, but how hard would it be to add a few more diameters and offsets to this style.
Clint
tbirder

Post by tbirder »

car guy wrote:They look really sharp on there. I like the size combo too.

It's cool that you got the skirts on there, I don't think mine would fit, either due to the 2" lower ride or the offset, they'd hit the wheels.
Hey there,
Keeping the skirts was a must! I think they make the look of the old birds. I was ready to narrow the rear end to fit the other brand wheels I was looking at.
Did you try your skirts? You might be suprised.
Clint