Strange sound after changing starter

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

EmanuelJ

Strange sound after changing starter

Post by EmanuelJ »

Hello to all. As a newbie, I could use some help. I had issues with my starter cranking slowly to the point the car would no longer start. I did a bit of testing and opted to replace the starter. It took a bit, but I could get it out and replace it with a replacement from the Birds Nest. Initially, I got the Bendix stuck in the open position and installed it in that state because that's how it was on the one we removed. After starting the car and hearing the strange noise, I decided to remove the starter and and installed the starter with the Bendix in the closed position. The car starts but still makes a strange noise. Please take a minute to hear the sound on this video - https://youtube.com/shorts/x1zD3MiTm1s? ... UOPQzjlqHD Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jtschug

Re: Strange sound after changing starter

Post by jtschug »

Does your car use a starter with a long nose?
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
64ZCODE

Post by 64ZCODE »

jtschug wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:40 pm Does your car use a starter with a long nose?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that the number of teeth on the starter pinion gear and flywheel can also vary?
1964 TBird Hardtop
1974 Porsche 914 2.0
David Langhorne

Post by David Langhorne »

It would be helpful if you and any others posters could say what year your cars are as there are many differences between 64 and 65/66 and quite a few between 65 and 66 also. I am assuming yours is a 64 as they used different starter motors and ring gears to the later ones?
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
EmanuelJ

Post by EmanuelJ »

Sorry about that, I have a 64 Thunderbird. the replacement starter came for the Bird Nest I'm not sure if it is considered a long nose or not. I ended up removing the starter and re-installing it without the gasket. I added some grease to the gear and that did the trick. I'm guessing the gasket was bunching up and not allowing the gear to be in the proper position. My original starter did not have a gasket and from what I read a lot of Mechanics leave it off. I'm not even sure what the gasket does other than maybe reduce noise or vibrations. To those who reached out, thanks
64ZCODE

Post by 64ZCODE »

That's good news, EmanuelJ. The engine bay in the short video you sent looks really clean, would be interested in seeing more photos of your '64 when you have a chance. Doug
1964 TBird Hardtop
1974 Porsche 914 2.0