Starting motor question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Karfever

Starting motor question

Post by Karfever »

Our 57 failed to start. Initially the starter engaged briefly but then just loud clicking from the solinoid. I have checked the battery and conducted a load test with no issues. Also replaced the solinoid, with same issues. All cables check out good as well. I did notice a small amount of smoke coming from the negative battery post when attempting to start
So I assume I have a bad starter?
thanks
55blacktie

Re: Starting motor question

Post by 55blacktie »

Try tapping the starter with a hammer.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Any time I had clicking by the selenoid it was the battery. You can get false readings on a battery. Selenoids do fail, but it is fairly rare when compared to battery problems.

And your problems sounds just like a bad battery. Enough power to just give the starter a few turns and then goes bad because the battery cannot take the strain..

If you can borrow a battery, I would try that.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

I have seen that before. It shows a full charge but as soon as you put a load on it dies.
VTCI # 13223
Karfever

Post by Karfever »

I did a load test in the battery and it was fine. I even put a jumper battery on it with no change.
I did forget to mention that when I went to tap on the starter, I found it wiggling, so I tightened all three bolts hoping it was a grounding issue by that didn’t help
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Maybe the bendix got bound up on the flywheel if the starter was loose. I'd pull the starter and take a look. You will have it out anyway if it needs a rebuild. a bench test may confirm.
VTCI # 13223
BJRVentport2

Post by BJRVentport2 »

If you saw smoke coming from a battery post, you need to remove the cable and clean the battery post and the cable connection. That will cause the clicking symptom you had.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

DID anyone mention the ground from the battery to the motor block? I just might be a loose ground connection....
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Karfever

Post by Karfever »

Well I guess the older one gets the more we forget the obvious. After all the extensive testing, I headed the recent advice and cleaned the negative batter post and cable and of course the car immediately started.
Thanks to all for the comments and advice!
289ace

Post by 289ace »

BJRVentport2 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:49 pm If you saw smoke coming from a battery post, you need to remove the cable and clean the battery post and the cable connection. That will cause the clicking symptom you had.
I would try this. I disconnect the battery on my Ace when not driving it and every time I reconnect it, I get the click and and a puff unless I clean the terminals first. If I clean the terminals before connecting, it fires right up.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Karfever wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:21 am Well I guess the older one gets the more we forget the obvious. After all the extensive testing, I headed the recent advice and cleaned the negative batter post and cable and of course the car immediately started.
Thanks to all for the comments and advice!

Apply dielectric grease or terminal protector to the battery post. It will really help. If you take a lot of short trips your battery will stay undercharged promoting corrosion.
BJRVentport2

Post by BJRVentport2 »

Your welcome.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

This is why I use a battery cut off switch. No messing with the terminals and cables. They are soft and get bunged up.
VTCI # 13223
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Also be aware some battery posts and cable connectors can be tapered on the contact surfaces not allowing the cable to seat properly. If one is tapered and the other is not the connection is greatly affected. As mentioned above they are both very soft and one or the other can easily be filed for solid contact. I’ve had to do it more than once.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Just a thought, do you have a braided ground strap from the engine block to the firewall?
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink