Oil Leak on Exhaust

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Peterperfect

Oil Leak on Exhaust

Post by Peterperfect »

Hi guys, I have noticed oil leaks on many 61-66 Tbirds in a particular location. They are on the left -drivers side where the exhaust comes down from the exhaust manifold & flattens out.
As with most of our cars, they are left standing for periods of time. On my 62 smoke appears from this area on start up for a while then clears. I haven't jacked it up to examine it yet but I'm about to fit a new exhaust system & would like to elimnate it.
If its from the gearbox selector on the side of the gearbox this would be easier to access the seal with no exhaust pipe in the way. Another thought is gearbox metal cooler lines or the steering box seal.
Here's an example on another T-bird.

Any thoughts?

Peter
62 Roadster
64 Convertible (Factory) Roadster options
oil on exhaust.jpg
bbogue

Re: Oil Leak on Exhaust

Post by bbogue »

The first place I would check is the rear of the intake manifold. Oil leaking there can make its way down to where you noticed it. The RTV-filled joint is difficult to see completely but feeling with fingers mind find the leak.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
Peterperfect

Post by Peterperfect »

Hi Bill, thanks for your reply. I'll check however, the engine was removed completely by the previous owner to eliminate oil leaks on his drive.
The top end was dismantled & the heads removed, hence I'm thinking its steering or gearbox oil.
Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Peter
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

Peterperfect wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:09 pm Hi Bill, thanks for your reply. I'll check however, the engine was removed completely by the previous owner to eliminate oil leaks on his drive.
The top end was dismantled & the heads removed, hence I'm thinking its steering or gearbox oil.
Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Peter
Peter,
I think power steering/gearbox oil should be red in color. If the fluid is red it could be the PS pump, a line, fitting or steering gearbox.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers