Correct 57 Rear Bumper Body Angle

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Haz567

Correct 57 Rear Bumper Body Angle

Post by Haz567 »

I have seen 57's with the angle of the rear bumper from pointing up to pointing way down looking from the side of the car. Is the "correct" angle having the bottom/top bumper halves join line being horizontal?
ward 57

Re: Correct 57 Rear Bumper Body Angle

Post by ward 57 »

Pretty much. Then the curve of the bottom of the bumper follows the curve of the lower fender. That also put the top of the diffuser almost horizontal along with the seam.
VTCI # 13223
Haz567

Post by Haz567 »

Thanks Ward!
Sure hope I can get 8 deg. out of it by just rotating the brackets without having to do the dreaded "heat & bend, heat & bend,........."
57 REAR BUMPER ANGLE.jpg
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

You might eliminate some of that angle if you enlarge the front holes where the brackets bolt to the frame. The “side effect” is that this will lower the bumper slightly.

Would a tapered shim between the bumper and the leg of the bracket give you enough rotation?
Rusty
VTCI 13079
Haz567

Post by Haz567 »

Thanks Rusty:

I will try some beveled washers as you suggested. Anything beats the take it off, bend, then repeat!
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

The other option would be to just replace the brackets as you will be messing with them anyway and you will have the correct geometry in the process. I'll bet the top of the bumper is really close to the body as is. You should have around 1" clearance all the way around just in case your bumper should be tapped. Probably somewhere in the range of $250 with shipping.
VTCI # 13223
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

Haz567 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:05 pm I have seen 57's with the angle of the rear bumper from pointing up to pointing way down looking from the side of the car. Is the "correct" angle having the bottom/top bumper halves join line being horizontal?
I just took a peek at my 57 tbird sales brochure. Both front and rear bumpers look perfectly level, no tilt up or down. Most of the 57's I've seen, including mine, have a slight upward tilt at the back edge. My guess is it's from changing tires back in the day with that bumper jack and it's bent things up.
Haz567

Post by Haz567 »

Jimntempe wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:59 pm Most of the 57's I've seen, including mine, have a slight upward tilt at the back edge. My guess is it's from changing tires back in the day with that bumper jack and it's bent things up.
Jim, That makes sense.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Jimntempe wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:59 pm
Haz567 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:05 pm I have seen 57's with the angle of the rear bumper from pointing up to pointing way down looking from the side of the car. Is the "correct" angle having the bottom/top bumper halves join line being horizontal?
I just took a peek at my 57 tbird sales brochure. Both front and rear bumpers look perfectly level, no tilt up or down. Most of the 57's I've seen, including mine, have a slight upward tilt at the back edge. My guess is it's from changing tires back in the day with that bumper jack and it's bent things up.
Mine is the same also. Just a slight tilt. Your theory is quite plausible.
VTCI # 13223
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

This has all the earmarks for a good tech article/photo layout in the 'Scoop' - common, usually undetected problem that could have a simple (or complex) solution. Having photos of 'properly' aligned bumpers to compare against 'sloping' ones and what the brackets/frame connections look like, both in 'correct' and 'incorrect' configurations, would be helpful.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

I could probably write a book on my life with my T-Bird. I've had it for about 50yrs and the stories I've experienced with it and learned so much along the way. P.S. And still learning.
VTCI # 13223
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

ward 57 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:58 pm I could probably write a book on my life with my T-Bird. I've had it for about 50yrs and the stories I've experienced with it and learned so much along the way. P.S. And still learning.
Have you ever jacked it up with the bumper jack? When I had my 64 and got a front flat tire I discovered it was impossible to get my usual jacks under the car to jack it up and had to use the bumper jack to get it started so I had enough clearance to put a decent jack under it.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Actually I never have. First flat I had to go get my floor jack ( young & naive not planning ahead) to change the tire. The wheel actually cracked near the bead. Never have seen it before or since. Jack was missing. Almost every used car I have bought was missing the jack. Go figure, Why is that? Rummaged the wrecking yards and found a car jack just in case again but it wouldn't stow properly. Just in the last year bought an original jack. Pricey but stows properly for trunk open local car shows but most would not know the difference but me but know it's there if needed.
VTCI # 13223
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

ward 57 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:38 am Actually I never have. First flat I had to go get my floor jack ( young & naive not planning ahead) to change the tire. The wheel actually cracked near the bead. Never have seen it before or since. Jack was missing. Almost every used car I have bought was missing the jack. Go figure, Why is that? Rummaged the wrecking yards and found a car jack just in case again but it wouldn't stow properly. Just in the last year bought an original jack. Pricey but stows properly for trunk open local car shows but most would not know the difference but me but know it's there if needed.
Did it crack after putting radial tires on it? I've been told that radial tires load the bead of the tire differently than bias and some of the old wheels can't take the load.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Jimntempe wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:03 am
ward 57 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:38 am Actually I never have. First flat I had to go get my floor jack ( young & naive not planning ahead) to change the tire. The wheel actually cracked near the bead. Never have seen it before or since. Jack was missing. Almost every used car I have bought was missing the jack. Go figure, Why is that? Rummaged the wrecking yards and found a car jack just in case again but it wouldn't stow properly. Just in the last year bought an original jack. Pricey but stows properly for trunk open local car shows but most would not know the difference but me but know it's there if needed.
Did it crack after putting radial tires on it? I've been told that radial tires load the bead of the tire differently than bias and some of the old wheels can't take the load.
Yes. All the others have been fine except I had to adjust the wheel covers as the extra flexing would send them flying.
VTCI # 13223