dead battery

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

nobadlie

dead battery

Post by nobadlie »

The battery dies after 2 days. I have replace the battery, alternator, voltage regulator and the headlight switch. When battery is charged it read 12.7. when just idling it will read 14.6 and when I turn on the lights it drops to 12.1 and continue to drop. If I have the battery charged it will turn over the next day no problem, but if wait 2 or 3 days it's deader than a door nail. I have read about the constant voltage regulator, has any one changed and could it make a difference?
64ZCODE

Re: dead battery

Post by 64ZCODE »

The charging system appears to be working. You may have a power drain happening when the car is not running and the ignition is off. Try disconnecting the plus battery clamp from the battery terminal, then connect an ammeter between the two. If it registers current flow, then you have a power drain and will need to troubleshoot to find the culprit.
1964 TBird Hardtop
1974 Porsche 914 2.0
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

I have a quick disconnect on my battery because I haven't been able to find the power drain. I just disconnect it every time I park it for the night.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
nobadlie

Post by nobadlie »

Thank You Both for some good advice
nobadlie

Post by nobadlie »

Thank You Both for some good advice
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Nobad, ALL GOOD

Before you go digging into the car to find your "Ghost" , check your trunk lite and your clock. Both stay energised with the ignition OFF. I have seen the trunk lite incorrectly mounted and remain working even if the lid is closed. Many do not realize that the trunk lite is controlled by an internal mercury switch inside the lamp base. If the switch is mounted upside down it remains on.
In respect of the clock it just runs and runs. I have even seen the points internally bridge and chatter and the clock to the point, turns into a flying set of hands
Another question is "Have you installed electronic ignition" If so, consider that sometimes the hot wire is miss connected and stays powered, even if the ignition is off. (rare but possible) A good indicator is the coil is hot to touch, without car running.

In regard to the CVR, if the gages work, then it is OK, plus the CVR is powered thru the ignition switch.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
Uk-Tbird

Post by Uk-Tbird »

I’ve literally just had the same issue solved by my mechanic. Turns out it was a faulty voltage regulator. They bought a new one and fitted it (took about 20 minutes) and now it’s as good as gold.
Whoever wired it up before done it really wrong! So the output from the alternator was good but wrong when going from the voltage regulator.
Hope you get yours fixed :)