Facebook purchase…….not going well

This area is open to any (no profanities/etc.) subject you would like to discuss. NO VENDOR FOR SALE ITEMS

Moderator: Terri McNeill

RossL

Facebook purchase…….not going well

Post by RossL »

I bought a restored car from a dealer in another state. The car was advertised on Facebook Marketplace.

It was advertised as a frame off restoration. Everything works fly in to local airport and drive it home. This car would not be very safe to drive even 50 miles

I have been working on this car non stop since it arrived in November. It came off the truck with the tach growling so loud I didn’t want to be in the car. It was backfiring on deceleration and had some undisclosed body issues

I’ve spent $4,400 to date and it’s going to cost me another $4,500 to get the car to match the ads description I probably have 300 hours of my time because I’m
doing the majority of the work

I had to rebuild the entire fuel system, brake system and cooling system. It is a good car and most of the work I did looks like it was completed when it was restored about 10 years ago. The car must have been sitting too long so the fuel went bad along with other issues from sitting

I’ve contacted the dealership who is not responding and I’ve also contacted the BBB

I had the car inspected before the purchase but the inspection was not comprehensive

I don’t think I will get any compensation from the dealer. My plan is to give him an opportunity to respond and after that give him as many negative reviews as possible

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
55blacktie

Re: Facebook purchase…….not going well

Post by 55blacktie »

Did you get the dealer's comments in writing? Does the contract/purchase agreement say "Sold as is"?
RossL

Post by RossL »

55blacktie wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:45 pm Did you get the dealer's comments in writing? Does the contract/purchase agreement say "Sold as is"?
It does say sold as-is.

I have a copy of the dealers ad on Facebook that states what I said above. A lot of online sellers will go out of their way to take pictures and highlight every flaw……. Not this guy

There is a law in his state that says a dealer cannot describe a car erroneously I am not looking for a lawsuit I just would like to be treated fairly

South Carolina code section 37–2-308 states, a motor vehicle dealer may not advertise in a way that is false, deceptive or misleading, or that misrepresents the vehicle offered for sale,
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

If you feel that the seller intentionally misrepresented the car, and you have legal recourse under South Carolina law, the law affords you the right to be compensated for your loss; there is no shame in righting a wrong. Keep all receipts for parts you have purchased, and keep a log of the number of hours you have invested in repairs. Of course, before & after photos are invaluable.

I'm not familiar with South Carolina law. In other states, particularly California, you would have the option of taking your case to Small Claims Court, where you would not be represented by an attorney. If your out-of-pocket expenses exceed the cap on small-court claims, you would need to seek legal representation and file suit in civil court.

If you intend to do either of the above, I would be hesitant to post any negative reviews for the dealership in question until your case is settled.

Apparently Facebook Marketplace does offer Buyer Protection. I don't know that it applies in your case, but it might be worth the trouble to start with Facebook Marketplace before turning to the courts.

DON"T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU! by all means, hire an expert to do a thorough inspection of a classic car before you buy. Additionally, have the car professionally appraised before the purchase. Compare the appraised value to Marketplace values. Not all experts are experts. If you are buying a candidate for restoration, or a driver, the asking price should reflect the condition of the vehicle. Caveat Emptor.
RossL

Post by RossL »

55blacktie wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:33 pm If you feel that the seller intentionally misrepresented the car, and you have legal recourse under South Carolina law, the law affords you the right to be compensated for your loss; there is no shame in righting a wrong. Keep all receipts for parts you have purchased, and keep a log of the number of hours you have invested in repairs. Of course, before & after photos are invaluable.

DON"T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU! by all means, hire an expert to do a thorough inspection of a classic car before you buy. Additionally, have the car professionally appraised before the purchase. Compare the appraised value to Marketplace values. Not all experts are experts. If you are buying a candidate for restoration, or a driver, the asking price should reflect the condition of the vehicle. Caveat Emptor.
I did hire an "expert" to inspect the car. The person didn't drive the car....... Which I didn't know until the inspection was completed and he was paid in full. This guy was a big part of the problem. Before the inspection, I wanted to discuss the scope of work, he said to me "You are in good hands, I've inspected 100's of vehicles". It NEVER occurred to me he wouldn't drive the car. I never heard of a car inspection without driving the car. When I contacted him about defects, he said "the seller did not disclose", I told him you were there to ensure and check what the seller stated was accurate.

Since I'm in NJ and the seller is in SC, I would have to travel to SC for depositions and court dates. That plus the upfront attorney fees means legal action is not worth the effort
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Sorry to hear this, I was lured to a 56 bird 7 years ago. The car had everything going for it. Nice pictures etc. I drove out to see the car 150 miles . The car was put together like a scape book. The guy photoshopped the pictures !
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

I've seen vehicles advertised for sale, where file photos were used to represent the vehicle, not actual photos of the vehicle for sale. I've also seen vehicles for sale that were described by the seller as "Excellent Condition" but looked far from it. Two cliches come to mind: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and "Love is blind."

I thought my 55 was a beauty when I inherited it, but my step nephew, who had possession of the car before my dad passed away, said it needed work. He was right. I'm still working on it.
abaucom

Post by abaucom »

After you documented your contacts with the seller and BBB try the State Attorney Generals Office. That office usually also deals with Consumer Protection. Over many years I have had a few issues with autos. Always got results after filing a complaint with a State Attorney Generals Office. Sounds like you have a good case as long as you have everything documented. Much better than going to court.
T-Bird Registry #19119
1966 T-Bird convertible
2011 Camaro 2LT