Installing vacuum door locks on my 63 Thunderbird convertible.

This area is open to"How-To" section only for tutorials on fixes, etc. (no profanities/etc.). NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

BURGUNDY63$

Installing vacuum door locks on my 63 Thunderbird convertible.

Post by BURGUNDY63$ »

As I embark on getting my 63 conv ready for the summer I am contemplating adding power(vacuum door) locks. My conv is already equipped with factory air, power windows, power seats. I believe power door locks were listed as an option for 63 but I believe none were ever installed on 63 models. I am surmising that the first 64 Birds would have been equipped with what most likely would be the same units IF they were installed on the 63 models. With that said can any one supply me with a list of all components I would need to carry out my plan?.

63 convertible
past toys : 62 convertible ( Roadster kit)
63 hardtop fully optioned
66 hardtop
Alan H. Tast

Re: Installing vacuum door locks on my 63 Thunderbird convertible.

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Oh, they were most certainly installed on 63s. I've parted out several with them. Components included the vacuum actuators in the doors with linkage (which are handed for right- and left-sides), vacuum switch and bezel in the dash (which took the place of the standard emergency brake warning light/bezel), knee rail with red lens/chrome retainer for brake light, vacuum valve assembly located above the fuse box on the passenger side kick/cowl panel, "coffee can" vacuum reservoir at the cowl ledge with a vacuum check valve, and lots of vacuum hoses of different sizes.

This is a photo of the vacuum door lock switch and the relocated emergency brake light in a '63 "M"-series Sports Roadster owned by Tom Chitwood (this story of this car will be featured in an upcoming issue of VTCI's "Thunderbird Scoop" magazine)
Vacuum door lock switch (Tom Chitwood photo)
Vacuum door lock switch (Tom Chitwood photo)

Barely visible in this photo from Tom's engine bay is the vacuum canister that mounted to the cowl ledge.
Vacuum canister mounted under cowl shelf (Tom Chitwood photo)
Vacuum canister mounted under cowl shelf (Tom Chitwood photo)

The door shells were modified with holes punched below the door latch use of two #12-24 x 1/2"-long panhead mounting screws with captive lock washers to hold the vacuum actuators in place.
Rear (latch) face of door with additional holes for actuator mounting.
Rear (latch) face of door with additional holes for actuator mounting.

Template with dimensions for screw hole locations. Click on the photo to see an enlarged version.
Template with dimensions for hole location
Template with dimensions for hole location

I dug into my parts cache to get photos of where the holes are, along with photos of the Vacuum Valve Assembly, lock actuators and a vacuum canister.

Door lock actuators. 3/16" ID hoses go through the doors and door jamb, and transition via 3/16"-to-1/4" hose adapters to 1/4" ID hoses that go to the Vacuum Valve Assembly.
Vacuum Actuators - passenger and driver's sides. Top vacuum connection is for the "up"/"unlock" action; bottom connections are for the "down"/"lock" action.
Vacuum Actuators - passenger and driver's sides. Top vacuum connection is for the "up"/"unlock" action; bottom connections are for the "down"/"lock" action.

Dash-mounted vacuum switch/bezel - bottom view.
Dash switch - bottom view
Dash switch - bottom view

Back side of dash-mounted vacuum switch. The 1/8" OD hose ports are for 1/8" ID vacuum lines that go to 1/8" OD ports on the outboard side of the Vacuum Valve. Note colored dots for placement of vacuum hoses. The green dot is for the "unlock" (upward pull) action and the white dot is for the "lock" (downward pull) action. The 3/16" OD hose port with the red dot is for a 3/16" ID hose that goes from the switch to the Vacuum Valve.
Dash switch - back view. 3/16" port with red dot is for 3/16" ID hose that goes to vacuum valve; 1/8" ports are for 1/8" ID hoses that also go to the top ports of the vacuum valve and control 'up'/'down' direction of vacuum.
Dash switch - back view. 3/16" port with red dot is for 3/16" ID hose that goes to vacuum valve; 1/8" ports are for 1/8" ID hoses that also go to the top ports of the vacuum valve and control 'up'/'down' direction of vacuum.

Vacuum Valve Assembly - inboard side with color-coded ports. This is the 1961 Lincoln (C1VB) version used before February 12, 1963. The bracket attaches to the kick panel/side cowl structure above the fuse box, with the long side of the bracket being toward the bottom/floor. On top there are two 1/4" ports on the inboard side and two 1/8" ports on the top outboard side, a single 1/4" port on the forward side and two 1/4" ports on the bottom. The forward ports with a yellow dot are for the "unlock" action; the rear ports with an orange dot are for the "lock" function. The single port on the side with the green dot faces toward the front of the car and is for a 1/4" ID hose that goes through the firewall to the vacuum reservoir. The port with the red dot is for the hose from the door lock switch and supplies vacuum to the switch. Black rectangle in upper center of valve is relief air inlet filter.
Vacuum Valve Assembly - inboard face view with no hoses attached. Top of the assembly has 5 hose nipples; bottom has two.
Vacuum Valve Assembly - inboard face view with no hoses attached. Top of the assembly has 5 hose nipples; bottom has two.

Vacuum Valve Assembly - outboard side showing small (1/8") hose nipples with green and white dots that correspond with vacuum lines from the door lock switch. A small-diameter port pointing down is hidden by black friction tape - the tape caps off the downward-pointing port.
Outboard view of vacuum valve showing 1/8"-diameter ports for connection to the door lock switch.
Outboard view of vacuum valve showing 1/8"-diameter ports for connection to the door lock switch.

Vacuum Valve Assembly - front view showing yellow-coded ports and end of the port for the hose that goes to the vacuum reservoir. The yellow ports are for the "unlock" function. The 1/4" OD ports with the hoses attached are for the driver's side, while the opposite ports without hoses are for the passenger side. The 1/8" OD ports at the outboard side are for connection of hoses from the door lock switch. The 3/16" OD port on the inboard side toward the forward end is for the hose which supplies vacuum to the dash switch - a red stripe is barely visible on the hose.
Vacuum Valve Assembly - side view with large (1/4" ID) hoses attached to ports on top inboard side of valve are for driver's side actuator. Small hoses on the outboard side are to the door lock switch.
Vacuum Valve Assembly - side view with large (1/4" ID) hoses attached to ports on top inboard side of valve are for driver's side actuator. Small hoses on the outboard side are to the door lock switch.

The rear view of the Vacuum Valve Assembly and bracket mounting face. The orange dot is for the "lock" action. The port on top is for the driver's side; the port without a hose on the bottom is for the passenger side.
Rear ports with orange dots for "lock" action
Rear ports with orange dots for "lock" action
Close-up of rear ports with orange dots for "lock" action
Close-up of rear ports with orange dots for "lock" action

Vacuum Valve Assembly with 1/4" ID hoses on top ports attached to driver's side actuator; 1/8" ID hoses go to the vacuum switch. The single 1/4" hose port with green dot on side goes to the vacuum reservoir; from this port vacuum pulls toward the engine. Two 1/4" hose ports at the bottom are for the passenger-side door lock actuator; a 1/4"-to-3/16" hose reducer is used for each of the two hoses going to the passenger side actuator. Ports opposite each other with the yellow dot go to the top nipple of the actuators for the "unlock" movement; ports on the opposite side with an orange dot are for the "lock" movement.
Vacuum Valve Assembly - inboard face view with hoses attached for driver's side actuator and hoses to the dash switch. Two hose nipples at bottom are for hoses to/from passenger side door actuator. Nipple with green dot is for the hose through the firewall to the vacuum canister.
Vacuum Valve Assembly - inboard face view with hoses attached for driver's side actuator and hoses to the dash switch. Two hose nipples at bottom are for hoses to/from passenger side door actuator. Nipple with green dot is for the hose through the firewall to the vacuum canister.

Vacuum Reservoir & attached check valve, most likely the version before January 15, 1963. A 1/4" ID vacuum hose goes from the end of check valve to the vacuum hose fitting on the intake manifold. Another 1/4" hose goes from the port between the valve and reservoir and goes to the 1/4" port on the side of the valve assembly.
End view of vacuum canister with inlet at end of check valve and outlet between check valve-canister to vacuum valve.
End view of vacuum canister with inlet at end of check valve and outlet between check valve-canister to vacuum valve.

The vacuum lock system requires a combination of 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" ID vacuum hoses. Reducer fittings are placed inline to connect the 1/4"-lines to the 3/16" lines that go to the door lock actuators.
Overview of the vacuum door lock hoses and parts spread out to give an idea of how much hose is needed.
Overview of the vacuum door lock hoses and parts spread out to give an idea of how much hose is needed.

The vacuum lock system is illustrated in the 1960-64 "Blue Bible" in the "Illustrations" volume on page 635. Click on the illustration to see an enlarged version.
1963 Vacuum Door Lock Diagram (from 1960-1964 Ford Car Parts & Accessories Catalog-Illustrations, Sec. 210, p. 635
1963 Vacuum Door Lock Diagram (from 1960-1964 Ford Car Parts & Accessories Catalog-Illustrations, Sec. 210, p. 635

Regretfully, the parts are not listed in the Text volume of the "Blue Bible" as it cut off listings for body components. Luckily for all of you, I have the catalogs which contained the part numbers. The parts for the vacuum locks are pretty much unique to '63 T-birds, with exception of the vacuum lock control valve assembly, which used a '61 Lincoln unit before February 2, 1963. There was a change in the vacuum reservoir on January 15, 1963, but I'm not fully aware (yet) what that is, and suspect it may be the vacuum check valve that's attached to the canister. Some parts for the '64 system are shown in the lists below (which are copied from the Ford Car Master Parts Catalog circa 1968) to show that they used a unique part number which differs from '63.
Parts listings including vacuum door lock parts (from 1960-1968 Ford Car Master Parts Catalog, Section 210)
Parts listings including vacuum door lock parts (from 1960-1968 Ford Car Master Parts Catalog, Section 210)

Additional parts listings including vacuum door lock parts (from 1960-1968 Ford Car Master Parts Catalog, Section 210)
Additional parts listings including vacuum door lock parts (from 1960-1968 Ford Car Master Parts Catalog, Section 210)

What's not listed above is the relocated emergency brake light assembly, which used a unique lens/retainer that was installed in the lower dash rail.

Emergency Brake Light Lens/Bezel and socket assembly
Emergency Brake Light Assembly
Emergency Brake Light Assembly

Bezel and socket separated
Emergency Brake Light Lens-Bezel and light bulb socket
Emergency Brake Light Lens-Bezel and light bulb socket
Last edited by Alan H. Tast on Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:56 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
BURGUNDY63$

Post by BURGUNDY63$ »

Thanks for your prompt response Mr Tast. I was floored by your first few lines, because I was sure I read somewhere that they weren't installed! I turned to one of my reference/source books 'Thunderbird Restoration Guide' and lo and behold on page 96 there was a picture showing the aforementioned vacuum door lock neatly installed, picture credited to none other than a Alan Tast! Page 111 further cleared up my befuddlement, I was confusing the Automatic Speed Control option with the door locks. Thank you again for 'enlightening me' Now more than ever I am going to aggressively seek out the correct components to add to my beauty now that has been 'revealed' to me that it was an original option!
BURGUNDY63$

Post by BURGUNDY63$ »

Can anyone tell me if there were any in-line check valves on the door vacuum lines on the 63 Thunderbird. I also understand the vacuum control valve for the 63 were almost unique to that year, sharing the part with the '61 Lincoln. As I stated I want to install the vacuum door lock option on my 63 and would like to acquire as many original parts as possible for my project. The scanned page from the FOMOCO Master Parts Catalog is a little too fuzzy to get a good grasp of all the components.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

BURGUNDY63$ wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:12 pm Can anyone tell me if there were any in-line check valves on the door vacuum lines on the 63 Thunderbird. I also understand the vacuum control valve for the 63 were almost unique to that year, sharing the part with the '61 Lincoln. As I stated I want to install the vacuum door lock option on my 63 and would like to acquire as many original parts as possible for my project. The scanned page from the FOMOCO Master Parts Catalog is a little too fuzzy to get a good grasp of all the components.
There are no check valves other than the one at the vacuum canister. The illustration from the Master Parts Catalog shows the whole system from the intake manifold fitting to the door actuators - you need to click on it to see an enlarged version from a computer (not sure how that works with a phone/mobile device). As for the parts catalog listings, I'm working on getting better images so I can print these out in an upcoming issue of VTCI's Thunderbird Scoop magazine.
Last edited by Alan H. Tast on Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
BURGUNDY63$

Post by BURGUNDY63$ »

WOW! Your info is invaluable. You've managed to answer all of my pressing questions. But of course, I have a few more! Would I require TWO vacuum
cannisters or do I just reuse my existing one ? Right after I interacted with you I managed to secure the correct door switch complete with bezel and nut, my search now begins for the correct actuators and control valve. Luckily I already have the check valve pictured. Once again thanks for your invaluable info and insight.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

No, you just need the one vacuum canister at the cowl ledge with built-in check valve and additional port to connect the reservoir to the vacuum valve. I just happened to have a second canister in my overall photo and didn't put it away before taking the picture. The vacuum can for the A/C controls on the right inner fender needs to be dedicated just for the ventilation controls. I said it before - the illustration shows all the components of the system.
Last edited by Alan H. Tast on Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
BURGUNDY63$

Post by BURGUNDY63$ »

Alan can you send me the dimensions of the installation BRACKETS for the 63 vacuum door lock actuators. I am planning to have a pair of brackets machined.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

BURGUNDY63$ wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:42 am Alan can you send me the dimensions of the installation BRACKETS for the 63 vacuum door lock actuators. I am planning to have a pair of brackets machined.
If you're looking for the dimensions/layout for the holes in the door, this is what I've prepared for the article that will appear in an upcoming issue of Thunderbird Scoop magazine:
Vacuum Door Lock Actuator Hole Locations/Dimensions
Vacuum Door Lock Actuator Hole Locations/Dimensions
Dimensions shown are to the centers of the holes or edges of the door. The holes themselves are 1/4" in diameter. I leave it to you to figure out the geometry for layout.
Last edited by Alan H. Tast on Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
BURGUNDY63$

Post by BURGUNDY63$ »

Thanks for the info. I purchased a pair of actuators identical to the original 63s' pictured, but the brackets are different. I wanted to have a pair of brackets fabricated and rivited to the actuator body, hence the 'dimensions' request.
Alan H. Tast

Door actuator bracket details

Post by Alan H. Tast »

BURGUNDY63$ wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:03 pm Thanks for the info. I purchased a pair of actuators identical to the original 63s' pictured, but the brackets are different. I wanted to have a pair of brackets fabricated and riveted to the actuator body, hence the 'dimensions' request.
I had a few free minutes earlier this week to get measurements from one of the brackets. The thickness of the material is 0.10"/2.5mm, which translates into 12-13 gauge sheet metal.

Actuator retaining screws are #12-24 x 1/2" cross recessed pan head screws w/ lock washers, Ford standard part # 50811-S8 (the -S8 indicates finish, which is zinc plated).
Screws used to hold actuator to door - split-ring lock washers used, not toothed star washers. Size/type of fastener is in parts listing previously posted.
Screws used to hold actuator to door - split-ring lock washers used, not toothed star washers. Size/type of fastener is in parts listing previously posted.

Template developed from an original bracket. Click on the photo to see an enlarged version.
Tracing/dimensions for bracket - flip for opposite side
Tracing/dimensions for bracket - flip for opposite side

Drawing showing side profile and dimensions for the bracket. Click on the photo to see an enlarged version.
Side view - bracket is not bent at a true 90-degree angle; there are two stamped stiffeners at the bend to help it hold its shape.
Side view - bracket is not bent at a true 90-degree angle; there are two stamped stiffeners at the bend to help it hold its shape.

Upon further investigation, the part was made by Trico (which is better known for vacuum wiper motors and wiper blades/arms). No part numbers were visible.
Trico trademark stamped into actuator bracket
Trico trademark stamped into actuator bracket

Underside view of actuator. The actuator body has a hex-shaped flange that allows for rivets to be used to hold it to the bracket and hold the halves of the body together. The two 'stakes' that are stamped into the bend of the bracket to stiffen it can be seen in this photo.
Underside of actuator; two 'stakes' for bracket reinforcement are visible.
Underside of actuator; two 'stakes' for bracket reinforcement are visible.

This is the face of the bracket that goes against the door. You can see that the two mounting holes are countersunk - I believe this is part of the nut assembly.
Back side of bracket that mounts against door. Holes are countersunk.
Back side of bracket that mounts against door. Holes are countersunk.

The retaining nuts are attached to the inside face of the bracket. I can't tell if they're pressed in, welded or ? (Hey, I'm an architect, not a mechanical engineer, folks!) Someone more-experience with this can chime in to better describe what's actually used.
Nut side of bracket
Nut side of bracket
I am on the hunt for another driver's side door actuator, along with another lens/socket assembly to complete a second set of locks that I have stashed away.
One driver and two passenger-side actuators for comparison.
One driver and two passenger-side actuators for comparison.

From photos of '64-'66 T-bird and other actuators for GM products (Cadillac, for instance), it looks like the actuator body/chamber/ports are the same, but that the rod coming out of the top is different. The '64-66 actuator rod is much longer, for instance. If an actuator has a longer rod that can be bent and reshaped to the same dimensions/profiles as the examples I have, knowing that the bracket can be fabricated, along with modifying the actuator rod, may allow me to get the actuator I need to complete the set.

Overall measurement of length of rod appears to be 3-inches in height (I did not make a measurement for the developed length. The bend in the rod is approximately 1-inch horizontal, which corresponds with the radius of the actuator body, so the developed length may be around 4-inches+.
Profile of actuator rod
Profile of actuator rod
Detail of slotted end of actuator.
End detail of actuator rod
End detail of actuator rod

Do I really want to tear apart the dashes, kick panels and doors in both my '63 hardtop and Sports Roadster to install these? Not really, but at some point the dash in the Roadster needs to come out for repairing or replacing the pad, and a person should never say 'never'...
Last edited by Alan H. Tast on Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
BURGUNDY63$

Post by BURGUNDY63$ »

Allan take a look at these actuators from a 61 Cadillac sedan de Ville rear doors, I think I can make it work. This is the reason I wanted a close measurement of the bracket. I am thinking of going to a machine shop but I am also contemplating if the time and expense is justifiable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155828991448?m ... media=COPY