ROTUNDRA TACHOMETER REPAIR HELP

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

62roadster

ROTUNDRA TACHOMETER REPAIR HELP

Post by 62roadster »

Had mentioned this in passing in another thread but thought it best to start a new topic.

I have a Rotundra tachometer which is in very nice shape cosmetically but is not working and I would like to try to repair myself or at least take a look inside to see what may have failed.

Problem is getting the bezel off, if anyone has had experience doing this, I would appreciate their feedback, I don't want to damage the bezel as it is not dinged or dented anywhere,,,
Attachments
IMG_20240224_161051300.jpg
IMG_20240223_114030799.jpg
IMG_20240223_165605550.jpg
Alan H. Tast

Re: ROTUNDRA TACHOMETER REPAIR HELP

Post by Alan H. Tast »

That looks like the 3-inch face C3RZ 17A326-A 6-grand version with the lug/hole for the bracket that allows the head to pivot.
C3RZ 17A326 3-inch face Rotunda tach mounting-1963 Falcon Sprint
C3RZ 17A326 3-inch face Rotunda tach mounting-1963 Falcon Sprint
I've never had one apart to know how it goes together, but I do see a screw on the back holding the cup to the assembly. Have you tried to take that out and wiggle the cup off? I suspect the bezel's probably a pressed fit over the cup. Like others have mentioned for the 4-inch face C2RZ- versions, the tabs holding the bezel in place break very easily.

This is one of those kinds of jobs that I'd rather have a professional do rather than DIY and really muck things up, but then again I'm not an electrical engineer by trade.

Since I don't have an instruction sheet (yet), please help confirm for me the color-coding for wiring and what each one goes to. I know from the "Shop Tips" article I posted in the thread on 1963 Rotunda Tachs that the blue one is for the light inside the tach, the red one goes to the ignition switch (where the pink resistor wire from the coil goes), and the black one (which in your photo has a green wire spliced into it) connects to the pink resistor wire that comes from the "IGN" terminal of the coil to the ignition switch.
C3RZ 17A326-A/-B Instruction Corrections (from Ford Shop Tips, Nov 1963, Art. 27, p. 14)
C3RZ 17A326-A/-B Instruction Corrections (from Ford Shop Tips, Nov 1963, Art. 27, p. 14)
Faria tach hook-up instructions
Faria tach hook-up instructions
Faria Tach Hook-Up Instructions.jpg (25.04 KiB) Viewed 147 times
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
62roadster

Post by 62roadster »

yes, I spliced in a green wire to the short black as at the time I was completely out of black of that gauge and I was in a hurry to try the tach, so yes it was wired as you had indicated in the other post, that was several years ago so I put it aside and the post about the '63 Rotundra tach renewed my interest in my tach.

I did remove the screw in the back and tried to wiggle the body out of the bezel but no movement at all, I'm pretty sure that screw holds the cup to the tach body. I remember years ago when I tried to get it apart, I read somewhere that the bezel needs to be removed and it wasn't easy to do without damaging the stainless bezel, need to get under it and work your way around it a little at a time.

Perhaps someone who has done this will chime in,,,thanks
Ducksface

Post by Ducksface »

I have a tach that uses the same cup. I've had it apart enough to replace something(I don't remember what). I'll try for disassembly pics this week.
https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... hp?t=19646
my build/rebuild/era-correct silly accessories/whine thread.
Member :duckie: :duckie: :duckie: #13109