One wire Alternator

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

hutch3

One wire Alternator

Post by hutch3 »

I am currently installing a (exact fit A/C system) from Classic auto air, I purchased this in 10-2022. Not in any big hurry. The directions stated that the system needed to be converted to a one wire system with a alternator from a GM or chevy pickup. I called NAPA and got one and have installed it but have not tried to start it as I am still doing other stuff to the car. Question, The thick wire , white with a black strip, fastens to the back of the alternator, I assume. What do I do with the other wires? The NAPA guy said to 'tape them out of the way'. Anybody have any good suggestions, the NAPA guy may be correct. Thanks, Joel
55blacktie

Re: One wire Alternator

Post by 55blacktie »

If you search Swapping Generator for One-Wire Alternator, you'll find several videos.
RossL

Re: One wire Alternator

Post by RossL »

If you want the GEN light to function you need a plug (assuming you are using a GM type).

I used a Jegs alternator 140 amps. It’s considered a one wire but it has a rubber plug to remove and the GM plug goes in. One wire goes to 12 volts the other goes to the light

My light works as normal it lights up when the key is on, once the alternator starts charging it goes out