Front Coil Spring Removal Tool

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

baccus06

Front Coil Spring Removal Tool

Post by baccus06 »

I was hoping someone might be able to help me source the Moog coil spring removal tool or one like it? I'd prefer to rent or borrow but if I have to buy it I will. I really don't want to pay an excessive amount to have a shop do the front end rebuild.
1961 Thunderbird Hardtop
Jim Wulf

Re: Front Coil Spring Removal Tool

Post by Jim Wulf »

I think Tom Chitwood rents out the correct Moog spring removal tool, or at least he used to. You can reach him at: 386-290-9882
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Morrisonaf

Post by Morrisonaf »

Man stirring up fun memories for me, I attempted to use a OTC internal spring compressor and it broke and the spring blew out the front of the car under the bumper.. almost shattered my left hand and I didn’t even know what hit me… I then was able to get a snap on tool from a friend and it was like butter..
Attachments
The Snap on was in this style and it worked marvelously!
The Snap on was in this style and it worked marvelously!
The pin bent and cause the bottom plate holder to crack in half and shoot the spring.. DO NOT USE THIS TOOL IT WILL KILL YOU POSSIBLY!!
The pin bent and cause the bottom plate holder to crack in half and shoot the spring.. DO NOT USE THIS TOOL IT WILL KILL YOU POSSIBLY!!
baccus06

Post by baccus06 »

Was the OTC tool breaking a one off type of thing?
1961 Thunderbird Hardtop