Installation of seat back cover '56 TB

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

fijidad

Installation of seat back cover '56 TB

Post by fijidad »

I've had this seat back cover forever, and had the seats recovered after that.

Looking at the cover, it's perfectly flat. The seat back not so much.

Has anyone tried to install one of these who can offer some tips?

Thanks, Dan
Attachments
'56 TB Seat Back Cover.jpg
'56 TB Seat Back.jpg
Joe Johnston

Re: Installation of seat back cover '56 TB

Post by Joe Johnston »

I marked the existing screw holes and a couple were not equally spaced, so I made a couple of new holes to get equal spacing. I started in the center top and worked each way for a few and then the bottom center to the ends as well. No problem.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Shouldn’t be any problems. It will flex enough to adapt to the slight curve. As mentioned, check the screw spacing for looks. Don’t let your screw gun/screwdriver slip off the screw. That cardboard and finish are delicate.
Heres a pic showing the wings also. Attach the cardboard back and then the wings. Reason being the vinyl flap on the wing for some reason is cut very close to what’s needed to tuck under the board. With the wing screws attaching to the round pipe on the frame there’s very little play in the adjustment.Especially toward the bottom. You’ll see what I mean when you get there. Notice the wing screws are as close as possible to the edge. The bottom of the wing flap is still barely under the cardboard. A little super glue helps in that spot.
7C9C182F-DB75-467A-994A-5C4C5E8F51DC.jpeg
69A34C0D-D99E-4266-9BED-DF397F6B72DF.jpeg
Last edited by MarkR on Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

I admire you folks who undertake these upholstery projects. My mechanical skills don't translate to these endeavors. Not in my skill set.
VTCI # 13223
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

ward 57 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:33 pm I admire you folks who undertake these upholstery projects. My mechanical skills don't translate to these endeavors. Not in my skill set.
I thought the same thing way back when. You certainly do have the skills. Limited funds help me realize my potential. 😀
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

i agree that while upholstery is a slightly different animal than mechanical work, the same skills and mental approach work for both. Being organized and patient will give you the desire results. Just like in mechanical work sometimes it really helps to have a second set of hands. I do try to avoid having a short timeline when I do upholstery work.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

In my life and especially when working on my car the old adage 'haste is waste' comes to mind. I can't count the number of times I have had to go back and rework something I just did because I got in a hurry to get the job done and see the result of my work.
Kinda like Dagwood running into the mailman rushing out the door in the Blondie comics. Bam... didn't see that.
Last edited by ward 57 on Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
VTCI # 13223
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Well done. It takes one to have talent to do the upholstery as a professional . Kudos Mark !
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
fijidad

Post by fijidad »

MarkR wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:52 pm Shouldn’t be any problems. It will flex enough to adapt to the slight curve. As mentioned, check the screw spacing for looks. Don’t let your screw gun/screwdriver slip off the screw. That cardboard and finish are delicate.
Heres a pic showing the wings also. Attach the cardboard back and then the wings. Reason being the vinyl flap on the wing for some reason is cut very close to what’s needed to tuck under the board. With the wing screws attaching to the round pipe on the frame there’s very little play in the adjustment.Especially toward the bottom. You’ll see what I mean when you get there. Notice the wing screws are as close as possible to the edge. The bottom of the wing flap is still barely under the cardboard. A little super glue helps in that spot.

7C9C182F-DB75-467A-994A-5C4C5E8F51DC.jpeg
69A34C0D-D99E-4266-9BED-DF397F6B72DF.jpeg
As always Mark, the pictures are a phenomenal help for me. Thanks very much.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

ICON 1956 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:58 pm Well done. It takes one to have talent to do the upholstery as a professional . Kudos Mark !
Thanks Steve but I have to say the classic bird seat is not that difficult to recover. The entire process of removing the old vinyl and foam and restoring the frame makes the job very time consuming but if you go slow and enjoy the work it’s very doable. As Ward and Rusty described, don’t hurry it along. Especially the new vinyl. I would encourage anyone to do it.
When I finished reassembling the front suspension on the 55 I started to pick up the tools and rags etc. There was the LF coil spring spacer under a rag. There’s not one on the right side. You can guess the rest. Yes, don’t hurry and do concentrate on the job at hand.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

This is a great forum ! Everyone is so respectful and understanding......I have learn a ton ! Thank You.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309