Where does this piece of the window roller assembly go?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

ScreaminJohnny

Where does this piece of the window roller assembly go?

Post by ScreaminJohnny »

Forgive me as I don’t have a factory service manual yet. Trying to fix the electric windows on a 55. I hope I can attach pictures but the window binds while rolling down. I found one of the rollers to be attached to nothing. The piece of metal it rides in fell off. Where do I attach it?
55 Bird. 292, Ford-O-Matic, Raven Black. Power steering and brakes.
ScreaminJohnny

Re: Where does this piece of the window roller assembly go?

Post by ScreaminJohnny »

I believe I attached the images.
Attachments
IMG_5881.jpeg
IMG_5883.jpeg
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Yah, it looks totally out of whack. You will have to tilt the window to get it out of the door because to clear the upper stops. Somebody was in there before but didn't know how to put it back together again. Then I advise you to pull it all out, taking pictures and with wire label stickers to note where everything came from. The gear box will be needed to be cleaned and repacked. Mine now zip up and down. As I said before PM me so we don't clog up the boards.
VTCI # 13223
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

While you’re waiting on your manuals I recommend you go to Hillsrestos.com and download their 2023 catalog. Theirs is the best catalog for enlarged exploded views of all the systems on your bird. Your door glass mechanicals are shown in detail.

That bracket you have circled in your picture doesn’t affect the door glass operation. It’s simply a bracket to help secure the top upholstered door garnish rail. There are two rollers, one at each upper end of the scissors that attach and slide in the lift channel on the bottom of the glass. There’s also a third roller that attaches to a stationary lower channel on the door panel.

It’s hard to tell from your photo but it would appear the rear scissor arm/roller assembly has come loose from the rear lift channel track or even the track has separated from the lift channel. Either scenario would cause the arm to bend the garnish rail bracket up. In the exploded views you will also see two upper door glass stops that should be in place. I’ve done 100’s of door glasses back in the day and although not common the roller brackets can separate from the lift channels if they bind repeatedly.

In order to repair it you will need to remove the glass to see what’s happening.
Last edited by MarkR on Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

MarkR wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:25 pm While you’re waiting on your manuals I recommend you go to Hillsrestos.com and download their 2023 catalog. Theirs is the best catalog for enlarged exploded views of all the systems on your bird. Your door glass mechanicals are shown in detail.

That bracket you have circled in your picture doesn’t affect the door glass operation. It’s simply a bracket to help secure the top upholstered door garnish rail. There are two rollers, one at each upper end of the scissors that attach and slide in the lift channel on the bottom of the glass. There’s also a third roller that attaches to a stationary lower channel on the door panel.

It’s hard to tell from your photo but it would appear the rear scissor arm/roller assembly has come loose from the rear lift channel track or even the track has separated from the lift channel. Either scenario would cause the arm to bend the garnish tail bracket up. In the exploded views you will also see two upper door glass stops that should be in place. I’ve done 100’s of door glasses back in the day and although not common the roller brackets can separate from the lift channels if they bind repeatedly.

In order to repair it you will need to detach the lift channel rollers and work the glass out of the door to see what’s happening.
If I remember correctly those actually are roller channels for the upper arms. The rollers don't move much but help provide a consistent lift. The rollers don't move much so the runs are short there but the lower ones do. especially the farthest rear channel which the fixed roller on the window frame slips into. No need to detach them. Been there done that.
VTCI # 13223
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Should have said you have to detach the lift channel rollers from the arms by pulling the clip then remove the door glass.

On installation assemble the rollers and slide them into the lift channel guides and the arms pop into the rollers. The clip secures it.
Last edited by MarkR on Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

If you have trouble finding the catalog on their website, here is a direct link.

https://hillsresto.com/wp-content/uploa ... atalog.pdf
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

MarkR wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:10 pm Should have said you have to detach the lift channel rollers from the arms by pulling the clip then remove the door glass.

On installation assemble the rollers and slide them into the lift channel guides and the arms pop into the rollers. The clip secures it.
Yup, install the rollers first then once the glass is in place you can just clip the studs into the ( hopefully new one piece ) rollers. I've found when installing the new spring unfurl the mechanism as much as possible to help installing that strong spring then on install lower the scissors as low as possible to engage the rear permanent roller into the rear channel.
the upper stops are important too. I found after someone was in the door before they were not symmetrical not allowing the window to seat properly in the up position and the rubbers on the lower and top bumpers were worn out or missing.
VTCI # 13223
ScreaminJohnny

Post by ScreaminJohnny »

Thanks for the help y’all. Got it rednecked right now while I wait for parts