Anyone purchase points lately?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

RossL

Anyone purchase points lately?

Post by RossL »

I bought points at NAPA and Carquest, the points are a mirror image of what’s in my car (1955 292)

The rubbing blocks were facing the wrong way

NAPA did have another set that looks correct. I ordered a couple of sets from Rock Auto

Were there differences in distributors supplied with the cars?
ward 57

Re: Anyone purchase points lately?

Post by ward 57 »

NAPA has a great reputation for quality parts for older cars. What do you mean the rubbing blocks were facing the wrong way? A comparison picture would be great.
It's possible the distributor is not a true '55 for a 292 but for a 312 and had been swapped for some reason. There are physical differences on the outside and internally. (I'm no expert on distributors) but there should be an ID on the casing and there are data bases as to what the original application was. I recently found out I have a car generator and not a specifically designed T-Bird generator. It only had 85K on the odometer when I bought it 45+ yrs ago but somebody had already swapped it.
VTCI # 13223
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Pictures would be great to show the forum. what you are comparing....
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

New Ignition items these days are a crap shoot as far as quality goes, especially Points and condensers. This is the reason I went to a Pertronix, too many problems with condensers.

For points, I would suggest ebay for Ford made items or at least new old replacement parts.

55 and 56 Fords used a different style of points then 57 and later. The base on 55/56 was straight and the 57 and later base was curved. This was because the distributors were different.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

If electronic ignition is your thing and it works for you, great. I like the old school, simple to diagnose and adjust. He said they had other points that looked correct so that tells me his distributor has been changed.
VTCI # 13223
RossL

Post by RossL »

Points diff.jpg
Please see the rubbing block on the two sets of points. Red arrow shows points orientation from NAPA. Green arrow shows orientation that is needed. NAPA did offer another set of points with the correct orientation that came up when I searched form 55 Thunderbird points. If I flipped the NAPA points around the adjustment groove would be in the wrong position at the bottom.

This is another picture showing what I have today.
1955 Dist.jpg
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

That is the weirdest rubbing block I have ever seen. Everything I have seen has a hard small square block for the rubbing block.
VTCI # 13223
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Ross, your distributor is correct for 55; the advance springs are visible on top.

I don't know about the points, but I do know that a 57 distributor cap is larger than the 55 cap. I also agree that there have been quality issues with points and condensers.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

This is interesting. I've never had an issue with replacement points/condensers. Are the quality control issues with distributor simple parts are really that bad?
Have you contacted CASCO, Hills, Amos Minter who sell these parts and do restorations? They will know more than the parts counters locally. Should be interesting.
VTCI # 13223
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Quality of electrical parts, including ignition, are that bad. Condensers especially. It seems that the major manufacturers have all their parts made in china and have thrown quality out the window. This may not pertain to companies like the major car manufacturers, but seems to me mostly the aftermarket manufacturers. And this is not limited to electrical parts as there is the same problem with fuel pumps, especially the ones for our cars.

ward 57 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:05 pm This is interesting. I've never had an issue with replacement points/condensers. Are the quality control issues with distributor simple parts are really that bad?
Have you contacted CASCO, Hills, Amos Minter who sell these parts and do restorations? They will know more than the parts counters locally. Should be interesting.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
RossL

Post by RossL »

The black is the correct orientation for my car If you look at the adjustment slot on the top of the points, you can see the white is a "mirror image" and it's backwards. As stated above Rock Auto and NAPA have both types listed for the Thunderbird. Be careful when you order points.
Screenshot 2024-01-08 170547.png
Screenshot 2024-01-08 170531.png
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Very interesting. Could this be something like the T-Bird distributors were different than the cars and trucks so different application for a T-Bird? It is with the generator. So they stock both but some don't note the difference in the description. As they saying goes, a picture is worth is worth a thousand years.
VTCI # 13223