62 power window overload relay

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Cheshire

62 power window overload relay

Post by Cheshire »

Where are the overload relays for power window motors. Working on the front driver side. Will be working on the passenger side front next. I have removed the window motor from the regulator. Took the motor apart cleaned the shaft and bushing. Reassembled the motor, shaft seems to turn ok. Plugged in the motor without it being connected to the regulator. Motor runs for a few seconds then quits. Wait a couple minutes and then I'll run again. I haven't been able to check the amp draw, but overload relay appears to be opening. When I had the motor apart I looked for the overloads, they are not in the motor. Can someone tell me where they are on a 62. Thanks
Cheshire

Re: 62 power window overload relay

Post by Cheshire »

Also, I never lose 12 volts at the switches even when the motor doesn't work. Thinking overload on ground side
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Cheshire wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:53 pm Where are the overload relays for power window motors. Working on the front driver side. Will be working on the passenger side front next. I have removed the window motor from the regulator. Took the motor apart cleaned the shaft and bushing. Reassembled the motor, shaft seems to turn ok. Plugged in the motor without it being connected to the regulator. Motor runs for a few seconds then quits. Wait a couple minutes and then I'll run again. I haven't been able to check the amp draw, but overload relay appears to be opening. When I had the motor apart I looked for the overloads, they are not in the motor. Can someone tell me where they are on a 62. Thanks
Referring to the Osborne electrical assembly manual, page E2-4670 - 2 + 3, the front breakers are mounted inside each door. The quarter windows each have a circuit breaker as well. The manual shows the rears mounted to the rear pillar, but the ones I have seen are mounted on the floor.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Thanks for the reply Jim. I can see most of the wiring and what I can't see I can feel, nothing but wire. Wondering if the breaker is built into the switches.
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Cheshire wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:33 pm Thanks for the reply Jim. I can see most of the wiring and what I can't see I can feel, nothing but wire. Wondering if the breaker is built into the switches.
I don't remember seeing any circuit breakers in the doors of my late 62 either. I'm pretty certain that there's no breaker in the window switches themselves. Someone who is more knowledgable with a 62 needs to weigh in on this as most of my experience is on 63's. There is a 30 amp window circuit breaker on the starter solenoid so maybe this is what Ford ultimately relied on for the front windows?
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I agree , breaker in the switch is a stretch. There must be a breaker on the ground. I always have 12 volts on the line side of the switch. The drawing I have shows a 30 amp at the source and a 15 on the ground for each motor
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Problem solved. Long story short. 30 amp breaker at starter solenoid. What confused me was when I checked for voltage at the window switch I had 12 volts. when the motor worked 12 volts, when the motor didn't work 12 volts. Evidently enough voltage was bleeding through to show voltage, but no enough current to operate the motor. One of the disadvantage of an electronic volt meter. A real head scratcher. Maybe this will help someone in the future .
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Also there is a 15 amp breaker on the ground of each window motor. For the front windows they are located behind the kick panel. One on the passenger side and one on the driver's side