Carburetor Spacer

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

mammentorp

Carburetor Spacer

Post by mammentorp »

Rebuilding the 4100 carb on my 63, and took the spacer off to clean it up. It's got some pitting and corrosion. I have new gaskets. How concerned do I need to be about this pittiing (see pics)? Can I use hi temp RTV to help seal things up? Do I need to bite the bullet (pun intended) and get a new part?
IMG_2704.jpg
IMG_2703.jpg
Matt Ammentorp
Hayward, Wisconsin
1963 Thunderbird Landau
Ducksface

Re: Carburetor Spacer

Post by Ducksface »

Inconsequential.
But,
200 grit paper on a sheet of float glass will help ensure flatness.
https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... hp?t=19646
my build/rebuild/era-correct silly accessories/whine thread.
Member :duckie: :duckie: :duckie: #13109
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

I would “bite the bullet”. I assume that is the PCV hose nipple that is so deteriorated. You will fight vacuum leaks with that connection. The flat surfaces will probably seal ok with new gaskets.

If you are really committed to using the original I would rebuild all the corroded and pitted areas with JB Weld. Plan to spend a lot of time filing and sanding the surfaces to a smooth finish.

This is just a side note of interest to me. I am by no means a TBird/Ford expert. One point that caught my attention was that Ford apparently went back to a cast aluminum spacer for the carburetor. For our ‘57 there was even a service bulletin recommending the use of a phenolic (non-metallic) spacer to replace the original aluminum one. There were issues with excessive heat being transmitted from the intake manifold to the carburetor. The heat would cause all the fuel in the float bowls to evaporate. The engine would not start.

One difference could be that there is some type of additional cooling due to the air flow for the PCV function in your ‘63.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
mammentorp

Post by mammentorp »

The more I look at it, I'm coming to the conclusion that my spacer has been worked on in the past. It shows signs of having been filed and sanded. And obviously not sealing well as it is - I removed a LOT of corrosion before I took these pics. I'm gonna roll the dice and order one I found on eBay - seller said he'd take it back if I didn't like it. It looks like a cleaner part than mine - we'll see!

Assuming the part looks good and surfaces are reasonably flat, any opinions on hi-temp RTV sealer on the base gasket and the spacer-to-carb gasket? I wouldn't use anything like that on the carb itself but feeling like it could be appropriate for these gaskets.

??
Matt Ammentorp
Hayward, Wisconsin
1963 Thunderbird Landau
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Rusty57 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:26 am I assume that is the PCV hose nipple that is so deteriorated. You will fight vacuum leaks with that connection. The flat surfaces will probably seal ok with new gaskets.
From the photos, what's pitted/corroded is the hot water hose nipple that's on the outboard side of the spacer - this is pressed into the spacer. The PCV outlet is in the center. I'm not sure if a replacement hose nipple with a necked-down end to fit inside the bore of the spacer is available, but if one is I'd consider changing it out. Other than filling the pits and smoothing the PCV outlet for a new PCV hose to make a good, tight seal, making sure the mating surfaces of the spacer are flat, along with cleaning out whatever gunk may be inside the spacer, and replacing the hose nipples (inlet and outlet) are about the only other things you'd be able to do.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

Alan,

Thank you for correcting me on the configuration and function of those hose nipples. That would also explain the extreme deterioration of the larger nipple. My guess is that the coolant was not changed regularly or possibly there was no antifreeze in the coolant for quite a while.

Looking at the pictures more closely it appears that there is pitting in the bores. On the other hand what I am seeing might just be due to lighting
Rusty
VTCI 13079