Deck lid not opening or closing

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

EmanuelJ

Deck lid not opening or closing

Post by EmanuelJ »

Hello! I'm a first time owner and dealing with a 1964 Convertible thunderbird top which worked for about a month but no longer works properly. I've read everything I can find but my limited knowledge is getting in the way. From what I can tell my deck lid does unlock when pressing the top switch on the console, I then get a clunking which sounds like I need to adjust the "Deck Closed Limit Switch" - tried this didn't work. I can open the Deck lid using a jumper wire. if I use the jumper wire to raise the Deck Lid 6" and then plug the limit switch back in - I can then use the the top switch (console) and the deck lid will to continue to open along with then lowering the top. The process will stop working again at the point when the deck lid should drop. Any tips would be appreciated.
jtschug

Re: Deck lid not opening or closing

Post by jtschug »

With a volunteer, have someone pressing the button on the dash to open the deck. Then go to the front passenger side corner of the deck lid. After the deck unlocks, lift up on that corner and see if the deck starts to raise. If that works, adjust the deck closed limit switch down a little bit.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
EmanuelJ

Post by EmanuelJ »

I've tried adjusting the deck closed limit switch and nothing changes. does the deck closed limit switch control when the deck lid goes down after raising or lowering the top?
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

When did you try to adjust the deck closed limit switch and which direction did you adjust it in? Did you adjust it before or after the malfunction started?

Does the switch move smoothly? If not, maybe squirt a little light oil on the plunger shaft and cycle it a few times by hand until it moves smoothly. Look for any broken wires on the switch or around the switch. You can also use a multimeter to test the deck limit switch to confirm it is working right. If it is, move on to the deck open relay and confirm it closes when the control pin is energized.
Livermore, CA
EmanuelJ

Post by EmanuelJ »

The adjustment I made was to the Deck Closed Limit Switch, after my issues started. I made the adjustment by moving the switch down. the switch plunger seems to operate smoothly. I did re solder a wire to the switch with came off after handling it. Even though I have multi meter I have not tested the switch yet. I have very limited knowledge when it comes to electrical. I was under the impression that my deck limit switch was ok because it works when I use a jumper wire. How would I go about - check deck open relay and confirm it closes when the control pin is energized.
I appreciate you taking the time to help out, Thank you
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Set up your multimeter to read ohms. You will need to use the shop manual to know which pin is the input and which pin is the deck raise output. When the plunger is down the ohms should be off scale high. When the plunger is up they should be near zero
Livermore, CA
EmanuelJ

Post by EmanuelJ »

After looking at the schematics in the shop manual I can see why the Deck closed limit switch should be checked. I'll give it a try as soon as I can get a helping hand. Thanks for all the help. This has been a great crash course in trouble shooting a faulty top.
EmanuelJ

Post by EmanuelJ »

Figured out my problem. on the side of the Deck Open Relay there was a small tab which connects to the metal case - the connection here had come loose. Just need to re-solder it. After looking at all the relay switches I notice this issue had been dealt with before.