Questions about the Fasten Seat Belt light on console

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

RandyBird

Questions about the Fasten Seat Belt light on console

Post by RandyBird »

Hi,
I removed the console and carpet of my '65.

Found the connector for the (missing) driver side seat belt retractor, but not a connector for one on the passenger side.
Question 1: were some/all not wired to have the passenger side seat belt connected to the light on the console?

I've read a litle about the Fasten Seat Belt light on the console. Something about there initially being a buzzer, then Ford changed it to the light being on for awhile with a timer. Did the console light also have a switch built into it. The electrical diagrams indicate that.
My console light is just a lens with a can below it to hold the bulb; no switch. Also, I can't find the relay they refer to.
Question 2: Did some cars come that way or is my switch missing and relay hiding?

I determined that the Violet wire from the driver's seat retractor connector is connected to the Violet wire of the connector to the console lamp.
Is there more circuitry involved? The schematic in my Osborn book is so small and poor quality that I can't follow it well enough to make sense if it.
Question 3: When the belt is fully wound into the retractor, is the switch in the retractor closed or open?

Thanks!
1965 Special Edition that is becoming a long-term restoration project . . .
mark1965tbird

Re: Questions about the Fasten Seat Belt light on console

Post by mark1965tbird »

I have a 65 and only the driver's side is connected, just a light, that's all.
georgemii

Post by georgemii »

Likewise, my’65 has switch only on driver’s side belt.

I don’t believe mine has a relay, and definitely does not have switch at the light,
so I would assume (yes, I know) that the reel switch is open when belt is retracted.
losendos

Post by losendos »

It wouldn't make sense for the passenger seat to have a switch, as there would have to be a sensor to know if someone was sitting in the passenger seat.
-Patrick
1966 Town Hardtop
VTCI #12691
Past Birds: 1986 Turbo Coupe 5-speed, 1965 Convertible
georgemii

Post by georgemii »

I would like to correct my previous post.

Assuming no relay is involved, then the reel switches must be:

- closed when belt is retracted = light is on, and

- open when belt is extended, to turn the light off.

I apologize for any confusion (other than my own).

Maybe too much eggnog?