Easier to replace windshield with dash out?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

RandyBird

Easier to replace windshield with dash out?

Post by RandyBird »

Hi,
I'm planning to replace the windshield of my '65 restoration at some point, but am about to remove the dash.
Is it a lot easier to replace the windshield with the dash out, or does it make much difference?
Thanks,
Randy
1965 Special Edition that is becoming a long-term restoration project . . .
jtschug

Re: Easier to replace windshield with dash out?

Post by jtschug »

It might be a little bit easier. You have to remove the wipers and cowl panel to get the dash out, and you also have to do that to change the windshield, so you save that 15 minute task. However, the windshield can be removed relatively easily without removing the dash. I recently had a windshield replaced. A couple guys came to my house and the swap took maybe an hour. Two people (at least one of which knows what they are doing) and the big suction cup handles are the real life saver.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

The windshield does contribute somewhat to a car's structural integrity, I don't know if the "drive up windshield repair" are as good as a shop's work, though having a windshield blow out at speed is not something to look forward about.
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

In these older cars the windshield is not bonded to the body like we see in today's car.

The windshield is set into a rubber molded weatherstrip part and actually moves around as the car flexes.

As a side note, I have had good results with bonded windshields being installed by a "drive to your place" service. As noted in an earlier post, it is all a function of the competency of the installer regardless of the type of installation.
Rusty
VTCI 13079