Sun visors for 55

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

RossL

Sun visors for 55

Post by RossL »

How would I install sun visors on a 55?
55Greg&Amy

Re: Sun visors for 55

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

To install Sun visors you would need to obtain the proper 56/57 windshield moldings. You will need the left and right inside chrome doglegs (vertical pieces) as well as the inside upper chrome strip ( horizontal piece). Then you will need visors as well as the attaching hardware and hooks. It will not be cheap as the doglegs are not available aftermarket. You’ll need to source them as used from the vendors or other sellers.
Personally, I’ve found it cheaper to wear a ball cap with visor.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Greg is exactly right; I installed visors in my 55. Although I always wear a ball cap when outdoors (and when driving), I still want visors. As Greg said, the interior windshield trim is not being reproduced. I bought mine on ebay. I'm pretty sure that the trim is chrome-plated, not stainless, and it's highly unlikely that you will find perfect pieces. Although the pieces I bought are in good shape, they aren't as good as the 55 pieces that I removed.

Note: The reproduction visors I bought were mislabeled left & right. It took a while to realize they were backwards. You will also have to drill holes in the upper corners of the windshield frame. Although not visible from the front, the visor arms are spring-loaded. If I recall, the large hole required so that the visor arm bracket (containing spring) will seat is 1/2-inch.

Although there were OEM visors that were padded/not padded, all of the reproduction visors are padded.

Concours has a 10%-off Halloween Sale this weekend. Unless you live in Nevada, there will be no sales tax. If you spend $300, shipping will be free on most items; oversize/heavy items are an exception.

By the way, I don't regret having installed visors.

P.S. Unless things have changed, there are no holes in the reproduction visors for the visor rods. There is a tube inside the visor through which the visor arm is inserted. I used a large needle to make a pilot hole in the visor fabric. I gradually increased the size of the hole with a phillips screwdriver. The visor arms are a tight fit and will require considerable pressure to fully seat them inside the visors.
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Showing my 56 with the hardware you will need the top windshield pieces. BTW This is what Black Tie was explaining. When I found these NOS parts I had one heck of a time reinserting the rod into the tube of the sun visor so to not tear the vinyl material of the sun visor.
Attachments
Spring inside base
Spring inside base
Visor Arm.jpg
Visor Arm Base Attached to Windshield frame.jpg
Complete Assembly.jpg
Last edited by ICON 1956 on Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

55blacktie wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:23 pm Greg is exactly right; I installed visors in my 55. Although I always wear a ball cap when outdoors (and when driving), I still want visors. As Greg said, the interior windshield trim is not being reproduced. I bought mine on ebay. I'm pretty sure that the trim is chrome-plated, not stainless, and it's highly unlikely that you will find perfect pieces. Although the pieces I bought are in good shape, they aren't as good as the 55 pieces that I removed.

Note: The reproduction visors I bought were mislabeled left & right. It took a while to realize they were backwards. You will also have to drill holes in the upper corners of the windshield frame. Although not visible from the front, the visor arms are spring-loaded. If I recall, the large hole required so that the visor arm bracket (containing spring) will seat is 1/2-inch.

Although there were OEM visors that were padded/not padded, all of the reproduction visors are padded.

Concours has a 10%-off Halloween Sale this weekend. Unless you live in Nevada, there will be no sales tax. If you spend $300, shipping will be free on most items; oversize/heavy items are an exception.

By the way, I don't regret having installed visors.

P.S. Unless things have changed, there are no holes in the reproduction visors for the visor rods. There is a tube inside the visor through which the visor arm is inserted. I used a large needle to make a pilot hole in the visor fabric. I gradually increased the size of the hole with a phillips screwdriver. The visor arms are a tight fit and will require considerable pressure to fully seat them inside the visors.
I have no recollection of any spring in the visor hardware nor any intended purpose.
VTCI # 13223
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

The spring is inside the bracket; it's not visible from the front. The same is true, whether you're talking about NOS B6S-4004144-A or the reproduction parts sold by Tbird suppliers (like mine). You can find excellent photos for B6S-4004144-A on ebay. The spring is clearly visible in one of the photos.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

When I restored our 57, the visor arms were original and, as Bkacktie stated, had springs in the mounting brackets.