Ignition bezel won't stay on

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Oathkeeper13

Ignition bezel won't stay on

Post by Oathkeeper13 »

Okay so, I have been working on my 63 Thunderbird for five years (I'm 25 and I'm still learning how to fix cars). and recently I had got her working after 10+ years. Anyways I thought my ignition switch's lock cylinder had worn down to badly because I couldn't turn her over, it wouldn't budge. I had no idea how to take the ignition switch apart let alone where it came off at (I didn't know what the tiny hole next to the keyhole was for). My dad yanked me out of the car and pried the bezel and retainer nut off the dash breaking both pieces, I managed to fix the retainer nut the best I could but the bezel and the switch won't stay in place. I lost my shop manuals and I don't know anyone who can help me. I've done everything I could with what little I have. I'm almost done restoring her but I'm not sure how to fix this issue myself. If someone can help me I am forever grateful to you. I know I. Can't replace the bezel or retainer nut because they don't make them anymore so I'm desperate to fix this. Please help!
Cliff Rankin

Re: Ignition bezel won't stay on

Post by Cliff Rankin »

I suggest using a vendor that supports this site.
Personally I would call Doug at Wilson’s and see if he has one with a little advice. Doug is awesome and always helped me over the years with advise and parts.
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
Oathkeeper13

Post by Oathkeeper13 »

Cliff Rankin wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:11 pm I suggest using a vendor that supports this site.
Personally I would call Doug at Wilson’s and see if he has one with a little advice. Doug is awesome and always helped me over the years with advise and parts.
Cliff

Thank you so much! I found one and I will have to give him a call when I can.
Oathkeeper13

Post by Oathkeeper13 »

I got both new pieces, now how do I put the ignition switch system back together without breaking it? My manuals are useless and I can't find YouTube videos.
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Ok young one , I’ll give this a go. But remember I’m an old mechanic, not the expert. Old school ford switch , take a paper clip or similar and poke in the hole. I believe on old fords , key in you turn to the right for accessory and pull out. On newer fords it’s the on position. Check the book . Can’t turn it ? All screwed up. Buy a new one and play with it so you do not mess up the dash. You may have to drill it
If it’s a mess. If you have a new switch and bezel.
You can figure it out without damaging the dash.
Does that help ?
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
Oathkeeper13

Post by Oathkeeper13 »

Somewhat mister Cliff. However the problem lies in how to put the bezel and the retainer lock back on the dash. My dad did damage the dash when he pried the original ignition bezel and retainer lock off.. the only retainer lock I was lucky enough to find had some of the plastic piece broken off like mine and I'm not entirely sure how it's supposed to go back on. All three components were separated from the dash(being the switch, bezel and retainer lock) and I'm so afraid that I'll have to back to square one with the stuff I already fixed with it sitting so long. I apologize if my description is not clear, I'm still learning what everything is in this poor car and I am just as horrible with communication.
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Post some pictures
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
Oathkeeper13

Post by Oathkeeper13 »

I will do that as soon as possible.
Oathkeeper13

Post by Oathkeeper13 »

These pictures are what I have on me right now, I can take better ones when I'm off work tomorrow.
Attachments
received_3390858307896331.jpeg
received_833893884928946.jpeg
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Looks like you need to repair the dash.
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
Oathkeeper13

Post by Oathkeeper13 »

Oh. I have to figure out how to do that then.
Oathkeeper13

Post by Oathkeeper13 »

I managed to find a replacement panel. I took pictures so I can put it together without a problem. How do I get the air accessory bezel off?
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Bite the bullet and get reprint copies of both the Body/Trim/Sealer AND Electrical Assembly manuals for your model year. Exploded diagrams and written step by step instructions on how to put together. Trust me, it will be the best money you'll spend for work on your Bird.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Oathkeeper13

Post by Oathkeeper13 »

Thanks for the advice.
Oathkeeper13

Post by Oathkeeper13 »

I found the body and trim manual and has been secured. I didn't know there was such a manual until now but I guess it makes sense for there to be one. I am indeed going to replace the panel and I read in the electrical assembly manual that there's a spacer for the ignition switch but I never saw hide or hair of one anywhere in the car. Do I need one?