Lights...again!

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

bigbrownpilot

Lights...again!

Post by bigbrownpilot »

Hello, I am back active in this group. Sold our '62 Coupe in 2016 and I've regretted it ever since. I am purchasing a '63 2-door coupe I found on eBay. Not a perfect car and has some issues, but also has many of the upgrades I did on our '62 already finished. So here's what the seller says is going on with the brake lights and rear turn signals:

"Headlights, both high and low beams work. Running lights work on both front and rear. Break lights stopped working about 1 year ago not long before I parked it for good for the most part. The right blinker works when running lights are on, and the left blinker works when the running lights are off."

Has anyone seen this exact problem before? I'll add that the back-up lights are missing. Th bumper and Qs were rechromed and I suspect someone didn't put it all back together correctly and they were left off. Don't know if that makes a difference. I'll be purchasing replacement back up lights when I get the car home.

Looking for a game plan to troubleshoot and repair. I'm planning to start with the grounds on the rear light sockets, then work my way forward tracing the orange/blue and green/orange wires forward to the turn signal switch. As for the brake lights, I plan to jumper the socket at the brake pressure switch. After that, will see if it could be a problem with the headlight switch. I'll start with easy and obvious first. Having owned a Bullet Bird before I feel good about sorting it out. Anyone have any other thoughts that might help?

Also… tonight the seller told me he replaced the tail/brake light bulbs with LEDs. I’ll be trying good old 1157s as a first step!

BTW, here's the car:https://www.ebay.com/itm/166223320647?n ... 7675.l2557