Looking for a 55-57 Tbird

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

JackSmith

Looking for a 55-57 Tbird

Post by JackSmith »

Hello everyone I'm looking for a 55-57 Tbird as well because I possess a 65 Tbird convertible. How tall is too tall for a baby bird, is my query? I'm 205 pounds and 6'2" so I don't even want to look if I'm going to be squeezed in like a sardine! I appreciate it.
Joe Johnston

Re: Looking for a 55-57 Tbird

Post by Joe Johnston »

I'm 5' 11" and 170 and have had Little Birds since 1976. It will be "do-able" for you, but I always felt cramped unless driven with the top off. I found the convertible top to be a bit closer to my head as well. If you don't mind a tight-fitting car, they are indeed fun and attract a lot of attention. I'm sure other people will not have my claustrophobic concerns. Sad to say, though, there are more comfortable vintage vehicles out there. Go to a couple of car shows and if there are no 55-57's ask some of the vintage Ford owners is there is a local person who may have one to check out.
Only you can decide.
Best of luck.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
1957Birdman

Post by 1957Birdman »

I was about your size when I got my 57, one that does not have the power seat. Your comfort depends on how you are built. The TBird has an adjusting steering column that really helps getting a comfortable seat position. If you carry minimal weight around your middle, as I do, then you should be able to get a comfortable position to sit. I found that pulling the steering wheel out from the dash gives me the space I need to fit my legs in comfortably.

Make sure that if you sit in someone’s car to try it out and they have the power seat that it is all the way back and down. That will be the best position for you. From there you adjust the steering column.

One last thing, I have found there is a trick to getting seated in the car. I open the door, turn away from the seat, plant my behind on the seat, and then swing my legs over and my right leg under the steering column. Maybe if I was shorter I wouldn’t need to do that, but it really works well for me.
Good luck,
Lew Bachman
willcarter

Post by willcarter »

I had a strange sense of deja vu when I saw this posting, so I ran a quick search on the forum and found this thread from a year ago:

http://vintagethunderbirdclub.net/phpBB ... 6d#p128504

Which is almost word-for-word the same as what is posted here (only real difference is that the poster used the name Bobird in that earlier thread and used the name JackSmith here).

So: what gives? If it’s a scam, I don’t see the payoff; if it’s a prank, it’s not particularly clever (unless you get off on once per year wasting the time of people who take the time to respond in good faith). Or did you just forget that you posted this very same query and got many replies a year ago?
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Thank You Will !
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Who knows? Sometimes we put things on the back burner for awhile and return to them later.
klogsdonjr

Post by klogsdonjr »

Might be someone phishing for a swap for a 65bird that doesn't exist?
Ken
'56 Thunderbird 312 black/tuxedo
(originally sold in Louisville, KY)