61 Base Steering Column Connection To Steering Gear

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

claybreaker 144

61 Base Steering Column Connection To Steering Gear

Post by claybreaker 144 »

My 61 project came with a non-swing away steering column and the end looks like it connects with a rag joint.
steering column end.jpg
steering column enda.jpg
All the information I've read on the steering column to gear box connection for 61 is collar and pin were used. Do I have a prior owner modified column? I thought I could just purchase a rag joint to slide on the steering gear but the one purchased is for a 3/4" dia input shaft and the diameter of the 61 input shaft is .800 or I'll call it 13/16". The column end of this rag joint fit my steering column end nicely.
steering coupling.jpg
viewtopic.php?t=11937&hilit=rag+joint&s ... 1196397deb
This thread goes in depth discussing the 61-63 couplings but doesn't mention a rag joint used on 61's or the Base steering column. Was a rag joint ever used on the first style steering gear with the hole in input shaft for the pin and collar?
Last edited by claybreaker 144 on Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66 Elcamino
62 F100 Uni CVS
62 Tbird Hardtop M Code under restoration
55 Stude Next up
61 Tbird Convt Project
Alan H. Tast

Re: 61 Fixed Steering Column Connection To Steering Gear

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Not to the best of my knowledge. Photos of the gearbox and shaft would be helpful, along with casting numbers off of the gearbox housing. It could be that the gearbox was swapped out with a later one, as the '61s-early '62s had several issues that resulted in recalls and replacement of original boxes. The more information you can gather to share the better. Again, post photos of the steering gearbox so we can see what you have.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
claybreaker 144

Re: 61 Fixed Steering Column Connection To Steering Gear

steering box number.jpg
]
I have 8 steering boxes from the couple of projects I've had, this 61 came with 4. Half of the boxes have the input shaft with the pin hole in them, the rest are the D shape input. Because all my projects have been non-running my only test for the gearbox is turning the input shaft with my fingers, I put new seals on them, power wash and 3 coats of epoxy. I'm guessing the stock non-swing column is a rare find.
Attachments
steering box input.jpg
66 Elcamino
62 F100 Uni CVS
55 Stude Next up
61 Tbird Convt Project
claybreaker 144

Re: 61 Base Steering Column Connection To Steering Gear

I stumbled across this illustration in one of the vendor catalogs I have, it shows the rag joint coupling for the non-swing away steering column. The coupling that came with my 61 was beat and I could not locate a similar one to fit the splined input shaft of the steering box. I swapped in a steering box with the D shape input shaft and purchased the available coupling to fit.
Attachments
fixed column coupler1.png
66 Elcamino
62 F100 Uni CVS
55 Stude Next up
61 Tbird Convt Project