Automatic Ride Height (load-levelling)

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

cogline

Automatic Ride Height (load-levelling)

Post by cogline »

I have a '66 Tbird with weak rear springs, so the rear sags somewhat. I've considered replacing the springs, but I'm also thinking about an automatic ride height system (air shocks with a pump and height sensor). I'd like to hear opinions on such a system, and if anyone has successfully implemented one where you obtained the parts.

Thanks,

Kevin
mike harmon

Post by mike harmon »

Lincoln Town Cars (and maybe other models) have used such a system in the late 80's to early 90's, and may still do so- so have GM's Pontiac Transport minivan and Ford's Windstar minivan. These systems use a special (i.e., expensive) air shock, a pump, and a simple height sensor- a 2-way switch activated by a lever and rod connecting the axle housing to the frame. I've ridden in all of these vehicles with the system, and all seem to work well. As far as I know, these systems only supplement the basic suspension system to compensate for increased loads- they don't replace it. You still need good springs, etc.