Art's '68 2-door Landau

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
cacockrum

Art's '68 2-door Landau

Post by cacockrum »

It was the spring of 1970 when I bought this '68 TBird from the Ford dealership in Garland, TX, and it became our family car for many years including the drive to our new home in Santa Barbara, CA. Years later I parked it in the garage with the promise to restore it when other priorities made room for it. In the mean time I gathered all the pieces I knew it would need to bring it back to its original beauty --- including all the exterior moldings, hub caps, tail light lenses, weather strips, etc, etc. Below are a some photos of the finished product along with a few work-in-progress shots.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
Scott6T6

Re: Art's '68 2-door Landau

Post by Scott6T6 »

Art,

Well, as I already said in my reply in the '64 - '66 section, your '68 is just beautiful. The Tahoe Turquoise paint with the white vinyl top and aqua interior is really striking and quite uncommon as well.
Did you add the accessory body side molding when you restored it, or did it come new with it?
Looks like you spent some serious time bringing it back to its former glory. Well done.
If I could've ordered one new in '68, it might very well have been much like yours!

Scott
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Art, this story and photos needs to be an article in the Scoop. PM me to start the process.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
cacockrum

Post by cacockrum »

Scott,
It came with the body side moldings, but they had collected quite a few dents over the years. Fortunately Carlos, my favorite parts guy at the Ford dealership in Santa Barbara, had a new set squirreled away so I added it to my order.
Art
OlDirty

Post by OlDirty »

Beautiful Tbird, Art!
I run the same carb.
Have you been able to install the RH mirror yet?
cacockrum

Post by cacockrum »

Thanks OIDirty for your feedback. As for the RH mirror; I'm in the middle of restoring my '67 Triumph Bonneville T120TT, but will install the mirror "fairly soon". I'll let you know how the installation goes.
67Landau

Post by 67Landau »

Great looking car! Did you have the truck mat set custom made or did you acquire a NOS set previously. I’m looking for a NOS trunk set and they are no longer available. I’m having a custom trunk mat set made for my 67. I wish I had acquired a NOS door and window weatherstripping set years ago when I first started restoring my car and when they were still available. Can’t find anybody that makes them anymore.
cacockrum

Post by cacockrum »

I was unable to find an exact color match for the trunk material, so I ended up with a darker grey, heavy felt from OnLine Fabric Store, and a local interior shop provided the cardboard material. I took all this along with the old liners to shop that had a heavy-duty sewing machine that could replicate the edge treatment, and they made the liners.