Electric Power Steering Conversion Kit

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

55blacktie

Electric Power Steering Conversion Kit

Post by 55blacktie »

EPAS has an electric power steering conversion kit specifically for 1955-57 Tbirds. However, EPAS says the kit can't be used with a telescopic steering column. How can that be? While reading their installation instructions, I found no reference to the telescopic column. Did I miss something?

Flaming River also has a generic electric power steering conversion kit that's a bit cheaper than the EPAS kit, but can it be used with the Tbird column?
55blacktie

Re: Electric Power Steering Conversion Kit

Post by 55blacktie »

I just talked to a Tbird owner who installed the electric steering kit; he likes it, has no regrets, but he doesn't "love" it. He says it reduces road feel (doesn't all power steering?) and the additional weight of the motor doesn't allow steering to "return to center" after turning. He will add some caster to the alignment, hoping that will help. He also said that the kit includes a replacement upper shaft that is telescoping. Having had manual steering and a smaller steering wheel, he said he was more tired after driving than when he drove his 59 Ford/w power steering, which led to the electric conversion. The conversion was much appreciated during a recent parade.

The replacement upper steering shaft that comes with the kit does not have the alignment notch on the splines; a small, triangular file can be used to file down 2 splines to mate with the OEM steering wheel. Aftermarket steering wheels, with possible exception of the small repo 56-57 wheel sold by Tbird vendors, don't have the alignment notch in the splines.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Anyone have pictures of the parts involved, an installation in progress or a completed installation?
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Mvs62bulletbird

Post by Mvs62bulletbird »

Hi, regarding the electronic steering and the tilt steering wheel if someone can connect me with the manufacturer is Parts and Sara for a 62 Ford Thunderbird convertible that’s what I’m looking to do. I have telescopic and tilt would be great with power. Steering would be incredible. Please let me know your last opportunity where I can go to find these things. Thank you so very much.