Flat-O Products Still Around?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

paul2748

Re: Flat-O Products Still Around?

Post by paul2748 »

When I did the conversion in my 56, I did not have to do anything with the cross-member. I had Gene's mount, and everything fell right into the exact location w/o any mods.
55blacktie wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:31 pm SW, you'll need a 67 Mustang C4 transmission mount (not part of the kit); Gene can supply it. New holes will have to be drilled in the frame cross-member to accommodate the mount. I think the 56 cross-member, like the 55, is bolt-in; the 57 cross-member is welded. You might ask Gene if it makes sense to send your cross-member to him to have the new holes drilled. The transmission mount is slotted, so I don't know how precise the cross-member holes have to be, and they could vary from car to car. I haven't crossed that bridge yet. Let me know what Gene says.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Good to know, Paul, thanks! The holes in Gene's mount are elongated, so I guess, based on what you said, that it can be moved into alignment with the existing holes in the cross-member.
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

SW, make sure the valve body you get is compatible with the year of your transmission. Later transmissions use a 9-bolt valve body. The 9-bolt vb can't be used on the earlier transmissions. An 8-bolt vb can be used on the later transmissions by plugging the unused hole. Shifters? You'll want a floor shifter, not console shifter. Also, avoid early "Green Dot" shifters and valve bodies.

By the way, I'm using a built C5/w C4 vb and converter. The C5 has more clutch plates, a 1-qt deeper pan, and 1/4 npt vs 1/8 npt transmission line fittings. The hydraulic circuit is supposed to be superior to the C4. The C5 lockup converter can't be used with the Flat-O kit.
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Paul 2748, did you have to lengthen your driveshaft exactly 3 inches? Rather than having mine lengthened, I will have a new driveshaft made.

I seem to recall your saying that you used the Fordomatic slip yoke on the C4. I purchased a new C4 slip yoke, but I haven't yet compared the OAL with the Fordomatic slip yoke.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Sorry but can't help you. I did this swap quite a few years ago - I did get a new driveshaft, but I don't remember the length dimensions. As for as the yoke is concerned, I'm quite sure that I used the C-4 yoke but before you go and buy one I would test out the Fordo yoke on the C-4
55blacktie wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:24 pm Paul 2748, did you have to lengthen your driveshaft exactly 3 inches? Rather than having mine lengthened, I will have a new driveshaft made.

I seem to recall your saying that you used the Fordomatic slip yoke on the C4. I purchased a new C4 slip yoke, but I haven't yet compared the OAL with the Fordomatic slip yoke.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302