1966 Steering box leak

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

abaucom

1966 Steering box leak

Post by abaucom »

Issue: Leak from steering box, 1966 Conv.
Past: Last year auto pulled from my driveway by AAA, dead battery. Result, replaced steering Rag joint at a Ford dealership. Car had to be pulled from my driveway without power steering.
Current; Steering box slow leak of fluid.

Car is again at a restoration shop. Told the steering box needs replacement.

Based on above does the steering box need replacement or just a gasket replacement? Shop said they do not rebuild parts.

Just want to get my car ready Spring cars & coffee, leak free.

Help to find a steering box if needed.
T-Bird Registry #19119
1966 T-Bird convertible
2011 Camaro 2LT
Rt.146

Re: 1966 Steering box leak

Post by Rt.146 »

How did the people at the Ford dealership react about working on the 66?
cacockrum

Post by cacockrum »

If you do have your steering box rebuilt, I would recommend Red-Head Steering (redheadsteeringgears.com). The guys at the front end shop I have used for years told me they would not have anyone else rebuild boxes because of problems they have had with other re-builders. I sent two boxes to them, and both were perfect.
David Langhorne

Post by David Langhorne »

I must admit to doing a double take when you said the Ford dealership worked on this!
It would seem a shame to spend a shedload of money on what may be only a dried out oil seal. I suspect your leak is from the bottom of the sector shaft housing behind the Pitman arm. It's an easy job to fit new seals once the box is out. Just remove sector shaft cover and the circlip from the bottom and the shaft lifts right out. The seals can then be driven or pulled out with no special tools. Trouble is removing the box can be a nightmare - exhaust has to be removed and when I did it the studs sheared off necessitating removal of the manifold to get the old ones out. I dread to think what a shop would charge for all this.
Here is a pic of a seal kit which I got for under $20 a few years back - never got round to doing it as my old box had bad play in it and I found a used one.
Remember inactivity is why rubber seals fail
IMG_0003.JPG
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

For a moment there I thought "Typical Ford dealer" dead battery so they replaced the steering rag joint. Anyway, I removed the power steering box from my 64 without taking off exhaust. Just needs some farckling to get it out. The problem is it's heavy so laying on your back holding it in the air is difficult. Used my engine hoist and some rope to put it back in.