differential, drive shaft and rear axle housing colors

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
pkingco

differential, drive shaft and rear axle housing colors

Post by pkingco »

HI all,
Can anyone clarify the correct colors for the differential housing, rear axle and drive shaft on an early '59? The VTCI specs (section 75, G5-1) indicate red oxide diff housing, black rear axle housing and natural drive shaft. But page G5-10 shows an unrestored diff and rear axle that is all red oxide, and page G5-11 shows an unrestored drive shaft that is red oxide.
Alan H. Tast

Re: differential, drive shaft and rear axle housing colors

Post by Alan H. Tast »

What you're confusing as red oxide paint/primer is actually surface rust and poor lighting. We'd love to get better photos for these items to replace what's currently in the OFS.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
pkingco

Post by pkingco »

Ah, ok. Thanks for that clarification. I'll proceed with red oxide diff, black rear axles and black or some sort of simulated natural drive shaft.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

pkingco wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:57 pm Ah, ok. Thanks for that clarification. I'll proceed with red oxide diff, black rear axles and black or some sort of simulated natural drive shaft.
There is a product on the market that you can apply to bare metal to preserve it that was developed by Boeing for use on airplanes. ECS out of St. Louis, MO sells it - I got a tin of it to try but haven't applied any yet. Might be worth looking into for bare metal parts.

https://ecsauto.com/collections/rust-prevention
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster